balancing crops.

• 12 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
balancing crops.
« on: January 12, 2014, 18:50 »
Went to the plot and thought - I could do with more swede, wintercabbage, sprouting broccoli etc cos mine is rapidly running out.

It's a puzzle with such a small plot, when they take up space for such a long time, do I stop growing potatoes, or grow fewer beans/peas to grow more of them?  :unsure:

How do you manage the quantity of summer to winter veg you grow?

cadalot

Re: balancing crops.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 19:06 »
I didn't manage any winter crops as I'm still only have about 60% of my plot dug up and weeded - I'm really hoping to be at 100% ready by the end of April so I can get the point you are at next year :nowink:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 19:17 »
I reckon I probably need 3 beds for winter veg (brassicas), which is pushing it when I will only have 8 in total. And I am stopping growing maincrop spuds until I get to the top of the waiting list and can get my grubby paws on another half-plot.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 19:51 »
I think it's about what you value- I find maincrop spuds boring, (only grow mini new spuds) and they are cheap as chips to buy  :D, ditto onions- doing some for seed for the lols but wouldn't be able to feed the family for more than a week with with what I can grow given available space.

PSB, chard and sprouts, swedes and spinach however I grow for fun, lovely to look at (I caught myself stroking my Italian parsley the other day  :nowink:  ) and something that I get a kick out of during slow season.   Everyone has different priorities.

Main spuds not so much fun- if I had more than 1/2 plot I would of course.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06 »
Interesting quandary, Mum.

We've decided to leave out brussels and parsnips this year, as we could buy the amount we get through cheaper than the seed, but when it comes down to the lean months, we always have more than enough leeks, so they're a late variety, and we also have just one small row of PSB, as that is an early treat.

We don't grow main-crop spuds, and we're going to try and crack peas in succession this year, and also broad beans. They were fine last year, but we reckon we can do better!

We're also going for half a row of swede again, as they are a winter filler! I reckon on growing sixty tomato plants everywhere too. All the salad stuff is grown at home, and we still have loads of rocket here, so that was a gamble worth trying!

But it will again all boil down to the weather, the threat of blight, the cold, the heat, the effort and the expectation...

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21 »
Mum - What about a Bottle Tower Garden somewhere on the plot?

See K9vN2eudWcQ

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:33 »
My problem is getting the succession right. Swede went in too late this year. I put in some cabbage but only me was interested so possibly not something to do again. The brussels have been a success so again a small patch.

Beans of many varieties are good freezer fillers. Elephant garlic we like and it doesn't often appear in the shops - far too much other garlic in this year but it will be used. Onions have been very expensive this year from the shops so maybe a few more than normal if the set price is right. I'm losing space on the hard standing (fancy getting a plot with a raised concrete area but it has its uses) which does stuff in tubs as I'm bringing on a whole lot of strawberry runners to replace the bed next year. Possibly strawberries will go in tubs so that the ground space is available for more peas and such.

Decisions, decisions.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59 »
Double cropping helps. I follow broad beans and peas with PSB/winter cabbage/cauli and then follow them with courgettes/squash/sweet corn. The follow-ons sometimes have to wait in pots but they do not mind.

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15 »
Now I have two families to feed, my three and then my daughters family of three, and I like to give some to my Dad,  I will need to plan very carefully, I had two full plots last year and although I have got the fruit right, I have run out of onions, broad beans, french beans, pasta sauce and some herbs.  This year I hope to get my third plot so I will be planning more carefully, SIL is a great brussels and parsnip fan, and as I do Sunday dinner for all seven of us I need loads of winter veg and it grieves me to have to pay for them.  I know that some veg do not cost a lot, but a cauliflower, cabbage, onions, brussels sprouts and potatoes for seven really adds up.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 18:03 »
I've stopped putting spuds straight into the ground, I have loads of bags, I can move them onto the paths as I run out of space, admittedly it makes the paths a little exciting to negotiate but ... needs must.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 18:17 »
I've stopped putting spuds straight into the ground, I have loads of bags, I can move them onto the paths as I run out of space, admittedly it makes the paths a little exciting to negotiate but ... needs must.

Potato slalom, now there's an idea  ;) :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chillimummy

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 21:44 »
Only have half plot so this year have really had to plan what we like together with what is expensive to buy. Last year planted lots of potatoes as ill health was problem but this year planting less main crop and probably more earlies. Trying different thing like fennel, kholrabi on small scale. Probably more fruit as expensive in shops and want variety so looking into different types of gooseberry or tayberry bushes. Making every inch of plot count :lol:
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 13:18 »

Potato slalom, now there's an idea  ;) :D

LOL Yorkie, funny you should say that ....  :D

xx
First ever crops

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 08:11
by New shoot
xx
sbk and crops

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 09:42
by victoria_plum
xx
what crops can i sow now?

Started by deedee71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 14:45
by Aidy
xx
What do my Crops Indicate

Started by trunk monkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 11:05
by trunk monkey

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 40 queries.