chook newbie help needed plz

• 7 Replies

cruse05uk

chook newbie help needed plz
« on: April 21, 2012, 23:55 »
hi im fairly new to keeping hens ive got 2 light sussex 1 cucko maran and 3 warrens my little light has gone broody so i decided to get some fertile eggs (with some encouragement from my kids) they are on day 5 under her but on day 3 i went in to feed her an she had pooped on the eggs stinky is an understatement so i used a paper towel to just take the clumps off there still slightly dirty as its wet an muddy just wondered if ive done something wrong and if there is still a chance they will hatch thank you very much

cruse05uk

Re: chook newbie help needed plz
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 17:46 »
any1 got any advice ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 18:49 »
you need to lift her off the eggs at least once a day - I lift mine off twice a day. This allows her to pooh, stretch her legs and eat and drink. I trust she is in a separate broody coop - if not she needs to be so that when the eggs hatch the other hens won't attack them.
Do not put the food and water in the coop or she will never come out  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

cruse05uk

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 19:09 »
yer i got her in a ark coop with run inside the main run if that makes sense she comes out herself in the morning for a toilet and for food and drink i think it was an accident tbh cos its only happened once just wondered if the eggs will be ok ?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 19:11 »
Hatching little chicks is great for the kids to see, but have you given any thought to what you will do with the cockerels that hatch? Depending on what breed they are you probably won't know for sure until they start crowing, and by then you and the kids will have become very attached to them.
The eggs will be fine.

splash101

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 19:19 »
I had to lift mine today as she hadnt been out all day, when i counted the eggs under her there was 1 missing and i couldnt see it outside the nest area.

It somehow managed to get lifted with the hen as i picked her up and unfortunately got splatted. Thankfully nothing inside this one had developed. Still cross with myself though as it could have been a good one.

When i lift her next time, i wil be making sure all the eggs are present  and correct, i dont want to lose anymore.

cruse05uk

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 20:59 »
i went for cream legbar so i should be able to sex them......i will eat the males and keep the hens for eggs

cruse05uk

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 18:57 »
candled my eggs today day 8 bear in mind im a novice and 5 out of 6 are def going well 2 eggs especially were awesome to see the embryo moving and was like a heart beating i put 6 eggs under broody light sussex 3 cream legbar and 3 brown leghorn bantam just gunna leave all alone now an let nature take  its course if i have any succes i will update with pics etc  im well excited incase you all didnt know lol my mrs thinks im a kid =]

xx
Hello from newbie (plus... chook sitters?)

Started by delph on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 17:24
by janet12000
xx
Disinfectant for mud runs - Sorry Newbie Chook keeper again

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 21:43
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Help needed - Poorly chook....

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 11:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Injured chook, advice needed

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 18:02
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 33 queries.