New Allotment

• 9 Replies

RsT

New Allotment
« on: March 11, 2012, 15:41 »
After only 9 months of waiting have acquired half a plot (5 poles)
So now very happy & proud renter of 29a!

Seems a really nice site, dog and child friendly and the grand total of £30 has paid two years rent and rent of a shed for two years plus various memberships, key deposits, etc etc ! :D
Got a water butt thrown in free and a neighboring plot gave me an old Hoe and dibber this morning, and a little draw hoe for son which was very nice of them.

Plot is not a bombsite, but will need digging over and old veg removed, it belonged to the gent who has the other half of 29 (now 29b) and he seems to have maintained it pretty well.
The only small problem is that he has Alzheimer's, and apparently this morning had to be reminded which half of the plot was his,  8)
Had a chat with him and he was nattering away saying the plot next door was his (though its not) so anything could happen!

Got a couple of hours digging in and cleared about 15sq meter so only another 200 to go LOL

Off out tomorrow lunch time to get some early seed potatoes and onions, hadn't  got any as garden at home is too small for such things as space consuming (few potatoes in couple of pots is the limit)

Here's hoping the weather stays good for a couple of weekends!

LilacSandy

Re: New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 15:46 »
Well done RsT, it will have been worth the wait. 

Which site are you on?  I am on the Harlestone Road site in Duston.

RsT

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 15:58 »
On the Highfield Rd site in Rushden

fuzzy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 19:45 »
well done Rst.

I was down my plot this afternoon with the husband and he helped me a lot but then out of nowhere a herd of mosquitos were trying to eat us! My plot is the same size as us :) how have you plotted yours out?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 21:14 »
Welcome to the site, RsT.  hope everything goes well with your neighbouring tenant and he doesn't start digging up what you have put in your half by accident :ohmy:

mparveen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 23:12 »
After only 9 months of waiting have acquired half a plot (5 poles)
So now very happy & proud renter of 29a!

Seems a really nice site, dog and child friendly and the grand total of £30 has paid two years rent and rent of a shed for two years plus various memberships, key deposits, etc etc ! :D
Got a water butt thrown in free and a neighboring plot gave me an old Hoe and dibber this morning, and a little draw hoe for son which was very nice of them.

Plot is not a bombsite, but will need digging over and old veg removed, it belonged to the gent who has the other half of 29 (now 29b) and he seems to have maintained it pretty well.
The only small problem is that he has Alzheimer's, and apparently this morning had to be reminded which half of the plot was his,  8)
Had a chat with him and he was nattering away saying the plot next door was his (though its not) so anything could happen!

Got a couple of hours digging in and cleared about 15sq meter so only another 200 to go LOL

Off out tomorrow lunch time to get some early seed potatoes and onions, hadn't  got any as garden at home is too small for such things as space consuming (few potatoes in couple of pots is the limit)

Here's hoping the weather stays good for a couple of weekends!

Congrats on acquiring your new allotment.

I got my allotment in August which has various widths! starting from 20 feet wide to i think 14 at the bottom and roughly 100 feet long.

Not sure what poles means!

My farmer friend told me about this website and have found it invaluable in advice, good luck with your neighbour too
A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

RsT

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:30 »
well done Rst.

I was down my plot this afternoon with the husband and he helped me a lot but then out of nowhere a herd of mosquitos were trying to eat us! My plot is the same size as us :) how have you plotted yours out?
Rough plan is to divide into four equal rectangles for the first 20 metres for rotation (though not yet got as far as planning what in which bed ::))
Then last 5 metres for shed, dog stake, sons pumpkin and sunflower area and wifes deckchair!

Welcome to the site, RsT.  hope everything goes well with your neighbouring tenant and he doesn't start digging up what you have put in your half by accident :ohmy:
Have put the  shed on the divding line in the hope it reminds him! At the moment he's welcome to help with the light covering of weeds :D

LilacSandy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11 »
Hi Mparveen,

Allotments still use the archaic measurement which is called either a pole, rod or perch. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:28 »

Not sure what poles means!

Rod, pole or perch = 5.5 yards, or 5.03m.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44 »
that sounds brilliant. You have a lovely human neighbour...my neighbour consists of chickens!

xx
This is my allotment!

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 16:03
by Jeanieblue
xx
My New Allotment

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 08:26
by dickpiggot
xx
new allotment

Started by riverside on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 10:00
by fatbelly
xx
new allotment

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:50
by Porffor

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 36 queries.