new allotment

• 7 Replies

riverside

new allotment
« on: November 01, 2012, 21:44 »
Hi just got an  allotment what is the best potatoes to grow to help clean the ground from weeds new to all this and would like some advice

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 22:03 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'll move this over to the GYO board; feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum to introduce yourself for a proper 'hello'.  :)

What sort of potatoes do you like to eat?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

R6robbo

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 22:08 »
1. Hello and welcome! Your in for your fair share of ups n downs but i,m sure you,ll grow to love it as i and most others on here do.

2. It may help if you put your location in your profile to the left.

3. You can,t grow potatoes for approx another  5 months.

4. You would be much better off preparing your plot over winter so your ready for the spring.
    ie. plan where your going to put your beds for planting, where your shed/greenhouse/compost heaps/bins/etc are going to go and finally, get digging and weeding and adding manure/nutrients to your soil.

5. Best of luck with it, its hard work sometimes but i,m sure you,ll enjoy it.
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:44 »
... and take lots of "before" photos!  :)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:19 »
Hello  :)
it's the work involved in planting, earthing up and harvesting the potatoes that clears the ground.
You can make a start over winter by digging out all the deep rooted weeds, so you can plant in Spring.

There is no 'best potato' for the job, they'll all require you to do the same amount of work ;) Just grow varieties that you like to eat - or choose a pack with a few different ones in, to try the first year :)

Good Luck!

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:28 »
Exciting time for you.  Don't try and be an expert, just use t'internet and read instructions on seed packets, the old timers down our allotment site tell you you never stop learning, some of them are good gardeners, some not so good and others only really care about their chickens.

We've been doing it 3 years now and even though the last 2 summers have been rubbish growing seasons compared to our 1st, we still love going down there just as much because the people there are so friendly, it's such a good laugh that you just forget all the woes of normal day to day living.

If I were you, I'd use the next 3 or 4 months or so just to get it tidy, maybe dig over a few beds ready for next year.  Maybe not so much this time of year, but when spring comes all the pound shops by you will stock lots of vegetable seed packets, just have a look at what you fancy and read the back of them.  With all the packets I've bought I've copied the dates for sowing, planting out and harvesting onto my own planner on my computer. 

Enjoy  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59 »
Don't expect growing potatoes to do the job of weed clearance for you - they only really "work" in the sense that the initial digging to plant them, the subsequent earthing up, and the canopy of leaves when they start to grow all tend to discourage weed germination and growth.

Best to start with a first or possibly second early variety to give you the best chance of avoiding blight and therefore disappointment in your first year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:00 »
I grow Desiree each & every year and always get a great crop. The slugs don't bother them as much as other Variates and they make a great all round spud.

They are an early maincrop
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
Allotment

Started by scottish_lass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 09:24
by scottish_lass
xx
i got an allotment

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 08:41
by gawk
xx
new allotment

Started by mhshah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 17:41
by mikegm
xx
just got our allotment

Started by sydlin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 23:00
by sydlin

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.