New garden

• 6 Replies

Asherweef

New garden
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:07 »
Morning guys and gals,

I know that I've posted on the fact that I've recently purchased a house and I was looking for some input from the members here on a how I should be organising my backgarden… It's West(ish) facing and we get a mixture of sun throughout the day.

Now due to rain I don't have measurements but suffice to say that the garden is a smallish rectangle with a patio next to the back door and a mixture of lawn and stones until the back gate. I'm inheriting a greenhouse from my partner's father which should fit in the back left hand corner where we get the most sun.

What I'd really like advice on is regarding sunlight levels. I think that we get good light throughout the garden but some parts in the morning and some parts the late afternoon. I'm wanting to put a series of smallish 1-2m raised beds on the left hand side for fruit and veg and a longer narrow raised bed spanning the length of the garden on the right for cut flowers and other miscellaneous bits and pieces (a small section of apothecary plants for interest).
and I'm leaving the patio for BBQs

Can anybody see any huge issues with this? I'm concerned about light levels not being constant baking sun and am up for other ideas from the experts here on the board!

Regards,

Asherweef

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: New garden
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:38 »
As the sun tracks through the sky everyday, all parts of the garden will have  arrange of light intensity at different times.

Your arrangement of beds sounds like it will fit into your garden and leave you space for a lawn too, and at 1m wide you can just about reach across these from the edge without treading on the soil. If you cannot, then perhaps add a few stepping stones to use to avoid compacting the soil too much if they are not accessible from both sides.

Bear in mind a that in the winter you will not want early morning sun on plants such as camellias, as their buds then get damaged, so place anything like this to get afternoon sun.

I am sure it will be all very attractive once planted up  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37 »
As sunshine says, most gardens have both sun and shade. Just take note which parts have shade and when it occurs to help you plan. Raspberries don't mind some shade, my brasssicas don't tend to blow if they have a bit, climbing peas and beans will reach up to the sun, also I've found leeks do ok. Unless the packet specifies full sun only, then just go for whatever flowers and veg you like this year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 16:33 »
Don't forget to take on board the time of year see below
2014-03-05 North Point with Sun.jpg

Asherweef

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 19:56 »
Thanks for the replies.

I had come to the conclusion from a few experiments last year that when a packet recommends full sun or partial shade, you can have quite a bit of leeway -- would you agree?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:17 »
Yes --partial shade is a variable concept tbh  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:26 »
Give it a try - there's nothing lost, and it will set you up well for next year to see how successfuly various plants grow.

xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar
xx
How does the garden know what to do?

Started by catllar on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 04:13
by Madame Cholet
xx
My garden

Started by RobbieG83 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:50
by Spana
xx
My Garden

Started by Willow_Warren on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 15:05
by grinling

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 35 queries.