Composting toilet for allotment.

• 7 Replies

Starbee

Composting toilet for allotment.
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:52 »
I'm looking for a composting toilet - either to buy or build - for my allotment.

I have looked at the Kazubaloo but because it is an evaporating toilet it is not recommended for use in the UK and the NatSol ones are supposedly good but they are amazingly expensive, quite ugly (well, the metal ones are) and you need to hire someone to did a big hole and build a reinforced concrete base for them.

Am I asking too much for a reasonably priced, free standing, nice looking composting loo?

Jon.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting toilet for allotment.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 13:20 »
Am I asking too much for a reasonably priced, free standing, nice looking composting loo?

Probably  :dry:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 15:25 »
We have a lovely one on our site - I may be assuming too much in thinking that a shared one is what you mean...

If I'm not, our site's is based on a long-drop method, and is essentially a shed on stilts with willow to mask the ensuing 'pile'. It doesn't smell, uses sawdust to chuck down after and is in a wooded area of the site, so tucked away from prying eyes and cultivation. And it was officially opened by Jacqueline Wilson...Am quite sad that I missed that, but I got my plot some time after.

More information on our site's website here http://agaa.org.uk/photos/album?album_id=6688525.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 17:13 »
I'm looking for a composting toilet - either to buy or build - for my allotment.

I have looked at the Kazubaloo but because it is an evaporating toilet it is not recommended for use in the UK and the NatSol ones are supposedly good but they are amazingly expensive, quite ugly (well, the metal ones are) and you need to hire someone to did a big hole and build a reinforced concrete base for them.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I am surprised you say this about the Kazubaloo.  Obviously, I don't know which part of UK you are from so don't know your climate.  

We looked into the Kazubaloo, and there are quite a few sites with them installed (Finchley - see http://thefinchleyarrow.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/kazuba-help-usher-in-environmentally-friendly-age-for-gardeners-in-finchley/).  There is also one in Kent (Smeeth and Brabourne Allotments, just outside Ashford) and another in Scotland (sorry, I can't find the details for this one).  These are the ones I know about - I am sure there are more.  They are also used in National Trust sites too.

The main downside to Kazubaloo is the cost (and for us, the fact that our Council don't like doing anything new - they would prefer us to adopt the same solution as other sites in the Borough).  For us, we preferred it because it is unlikely to need emptying as often as other ones.  Luckily, we have a couple of people happy to drive a JCB!

The only reason our site hasn't progressed with our one is that we are still (almost one year on) waiting for the Council to approve where we can site the thing!  Even though we are self-managed, they won't give us that power!

If your Council is anything like ours, I suggest you seriously consider a solution similar to Surbie's site - it will be a darn sight cheaper for starters!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 17:16 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

yaxley

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 20:30 »
Is it for your own personal allotment or for the whole allotment site ? . 
Grow organic as nature intended

Starbee

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38 »
Hi there, thanks for all your comments.

WRT the Kazubaloo, it states on their website that it is an evaporating toilet, this is not a composting toilet. From what I have read about evaporating toilets says that they need an arid climate to work.

A friend sent me this link, it looks much more like what I had in mind - http://www.freerangedesigns.co.uk/products/composting-toilets.html

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:52 »
There's a regular looking toilet available from Envirolet, which is a dry composting toilet which looks like a regular loo. It would fit into your shed as it's normal size. I am assuming you mean for personal use

www.envirolet.com

This is for buildings with no running water such as log cabins out in the rockies.  Available in the UK too  :)  It will be expensive though I suppose.

It depends on what expense, time and trouble you want to go to.  You could go the way of the Bath Organic Group and build a shed on stilts with the long drop idea and willow all round. They advise groups all over the country about this subject and you can go and visit them. They helped a site in Barnsley and you can go and have a look at theirs  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28 »
Surbies link above shows a longdrop loo being built ;)

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.