Raised Beds?

• 26 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds?
« on: January 28, 2008, 21:41 »
I have been reading some posts on here and admiring some photos of well maintained plots. However, I have seen some pics with raised beds and some without. Whats the advantages?

gobs

Raised Beds?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 21:45 »
Plenty, in fact, I don't think there are any other serious downsides than building them. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Glen

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 21:51 »
Thanks for the quick reply gobs, but i am a complete novice so will need a better explanation of the advantages please.

I'm waiting to get my first patch and would like to know the best way forward.

Ice

• muck spreader
Raised Beds?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 21:53 »
Upside, no digging, easy access, easy to weed, easy to net from blasted birds and a salad bed that was prolific despite the awful summer.

Downside, well there will be plenty of people along in a moment. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

noshed

Raised Beds?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 22:05 »
Unless your soil is bad - claggy clay or something - I wouldn't bother. You will end up doing more carpentry than gardening. You can get the benefits - less digging, closer spacing of crops etc by just having narrow beds that you don't walk on. Over a period of time, with the application of manure and compost, they will rise up.
But if you feel like having a go - make a couple and see what you think. I've got a small one in a grotty corner which I grow salads in and I inherited a sort of ramshackle one from my predecessor.
Always remember my mate's good advice: "It's only an allotment". If it doesn't work this year, you will know better next time.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Raised Beds?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 23:41 »
Thats good advice Noshed , Raised beds are good easy maintenance etc.
 The less digging the better , But you can have deep beds , A lot of graft
 at first but will raise up over time.  I have both sieved soil for the roots
 is a good thing as i have stony soil.
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

paintedlady

Raised Beds?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:49 »
Believe it or not, I found the plot as a whole was overwhelming, and weeding became a nightmare.  Having it compartmentalised if you like, gave it structure and helped me to plan better, section off my weeding regime and help seriously think about future crop rotation.  Then it rained last summer and I think I was probably a bit too smug when I looked at everyone else's waterlogged plots - I thought it was worth the effort. :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

GreenOwl

Raised Beds?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 15:05 »
I'm with Noshed and Painted Lady.  I have unraised beds but I found shifting to a bed system (about 8 years ago I think) made manageability much better.  Also the not walking on the soil made turning it over and weeding it much much easier.

As Painted Lady says raised beds drain better but the flipside of that is that in a really dry summer that requires more watering.

Up to you but it looks like we all recommend a bed system raised or unraised!

Trillium

Raised Beds?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 16:02 »
Quote from: "GreenOwl"
As Painted Lady says raised beds drain better but the flipside of that is that in a really dry summer that requires more watering.

But once the soil tilth builds up, which it should do quickly since you're not wasting compost and such on paths, it will retain moisture better and longer. You're also working with a deeper depth of good soil. And if watering worries you, then mulch.  :wink:

Glen

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 19:19 »
So from what i am reading, you would all advise, if possible to go with raised beds?

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 20:32 »
I'm in the middle of installing raised beds myself. My 'lottie is on the side of a mountain and really wants to be mountain, I have a 100% battle with couch grass and other weeds that ensure I spend all my time fighting them and not improving my plot. So, I'm going raised beds, weed suppresant matting inbetween with wood chip on top to form paths and mulching the beds to force weed seeds down. I've had my plot 4 years and dig it comletely every autumn and again in spring. Last year I was back to square one by June and very despondent. As much as I love my plot, I cant spend (and dont want to spend) all day every day weeding the thing. My advice is to build them and save yourself a lot of grief. I get tanalised timber for an 8'x4' bed for under £9. just my opinion, good luck.

Glen

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:57 »
Thanks, so is there a simple way to construct raised beds? What prep work do you need to do before hand and what do i need to do to keep weeds at bay?

noshed

Raised Beds?
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:36 »
You can make scruffy ones from old pallets - just drive posts in and nail the boards on. All you need is a bag of galvanised nails and some pallets.

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Raised Beds?
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 12:45 »
im halfway through doing my beds, i bought 22 pieces of 6 inch treated timber that were 1.8m long along with a couple of treated 3x3 posts and some membrane to go under what will be the path for about 40 quid
It's Chilli up North.

Lynne

Raised Beds?
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 14:45 »
I think its more a matter of personal choice. We started with raised beds, but are now going open plan. The main reasons were that there was too much wasted space, we like digging (and will need to for some time as we are so infested with nettles and brambles), and the fuss of building them and then replacing as required.

I think you can plant closer with raised beds and its good if the soil is clay. Downsides I have read about include more slugs hiding at the edges and less worms in them.

Why not try some beds and some open ground and see which you prefer?
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Veg for raised beds?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 22:32
by Trikidiki
xx
raised beds

Started by NO GREEN FINGERS on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 22:05
by yummy
xx
Raised beds.

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 22:09
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 35 queries.