stoped laying

• 9 Replies

ciderman

stoped laying
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:09 »
hi all my chooks have stoped laying  but i think they are malting will this put them off      thanks  ciderman     

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: stoped laying
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19 »
Two things will happend around this time. One is moulting and the other is less daylight hours so to answer your question yes, they are having a break. They will of course start to lay again once the daylight hours increase.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Missie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 19:57 »
Yes,not to worry,out of 60 we are only getting 12-16 eggs per day-and I am sure it shall reduce even further!-they still eat very well though :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 21:07 »
Yes,not to worry,out of 60 we are only getting 12-16 eggs per day-and I am sure it shall reduce even further!-they still eat very well though :D
and I thought we were hard done by getting 3 eggs out of 6 hens :ohmy:

Missie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 21:14 »
I have to be fair,all my warrens started laying last Christmas day! bless,they have not stopped since,so the rest shall only do them good,and I do have some which are only 18 weeks though I did have one miniature egg yesterday ;),the majority of my hens are Marans,cuckoo and french,they all seem to lay when they feel like it hehe!

Happy-Hound

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:39 »
My hens have also gone on strike!  I have 2 not old enough yet but the other 3 have only laid 1 egg between them in the last 2 days.  The one who has laid every day since we got her hasn't laid anything in over a week.  Roughly how long does this phase tend to last and is there anything that will encourage them to get going again?  Thanks, Wendy.

Junie

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39 »
Mine are the same too - This is the first proper moult they have had as they were young last year, one looks like she is getting herself ready for the pot :lol: 
Yesterday was 2 eggs from 9 chickens, average seems to be about 4 or 5 at the moment.  So after reading some of the numbers, |I feel a lot better about that.

Doline33

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:27 »
Moulting and climate change affect laying.

To improve the rate of lay, you can give vitamins for a cure, in the drinking water.
Put the chickens on a place they always have a maximum of sunshine.
By doing this I have no big drop in egg production during the winter.

Junie

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 21:41 »
I have a mix of chickens and I think it is my Co-Nus which have kept going, they may look like veloceraptors but they do continue laying.  :D
I will try the vitamins and I am currently rearranging the inside of the henhouse so that they are nearer the window and will get more light,

Flossie

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 19:39 »
Thank you for this great info as I was also worrying about the drop in number of eggs. I am new at this and rely on this site for info. :D

xx
stoped laying

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 08:22
by chickenlady
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 28 queries.