Self sufficient in veg?

• 19 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Self sufficient in veg?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 18:30 »
I will be making another out door sowing in the next 2 weeks down here.
Got a really good winter leaf pack from DT Browns ;)

Then once the toms are down and gone I'll clear and clean the greenhouse and sow another lot.

I use drainpipes for salad and rocket and stuff like that.

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 23:41 »
Kristen

I was picking greens out the garden today and the winter spinaches are doing well as is the coriander. Tatsoi, pak choi, winter chicory and lettuce looking promising, onions too  :)

If you don't sow Kristen, you don't reap so get those seed packets out and see what you can be sowing. There's bound to be something  :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 00:20 »
I sow Rocket, Asian greens (tatsoi, mizuna and the like), in modules, and then when the toms come out plant them in the border - usually have enough for stir fries til Jan/Feb.

Roughly when do you sow them? - late August perhaps? and Toms out / Plant at end of September-ish? Roughly how many would you grow to be able to get a "crop" as such?

I should try them, I'm just surprised that they make enough growth during the winter to re-generate at all (but that's ignorance talking!)
Same here Mum makes judging quantities difficult  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 00:23 »
If you don't sow Kristen, you don't reap so get those seed packets out and see what you can be sowing. There's bound to be something  :)
You are right there!  I've got plenty of seed packets :) just needed some advice on which ones are likely to actually make some growth / progress over the winter - several things I have tried in the past have been a disappointment. I'm going to have another go though, thanks for that :)

Important not to water too much I guess, as the plants won't be drinking much, and don't want them sitting with cold and wet feet.

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32 »
I water sparingly from underneath by sitting the whole tray in a larger tray for just long enough til the compost of the compost glistens (if you can see the top of the compost if it's full of leaves  :)

One of the benefits of growing some trays of hardy salads and oriental leaves in the cold greenhouse or frame etc is that the leaves stay clean and there's no mud splash or damage from cat or dog, no insects about generally either in the depths of winter. Mice will eat brassica leaves if they're desperate  :)

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.