• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Best Bedding For Hens
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 19:06 »
Thanks for that lukasmum, will have to look into that myself  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Shedenvy

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 23:49 »
this stuff sounds really good I use straw with the intention of composting up th allotment but its so slow to rot down does anyone know if you can use it for ducks? and do you have to water it when you first put it down as suggested for horses

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 18:03 »
I haven't watered mine - there really isn't any dust coming off it, and it certainly absorbs any moisture out of their poo.

Its very compacted in the bale, so when fluffed up is really quite nice. It is supposed to compost down quicker - but you'll have to wait a bit longer for an update on that one!! :lol:

Its in much shorter shreds than straw, about 2-4 inches long, so hopefully will compost nicely :)

joyfull

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 18:08 »
I think the watering bit like with hemcore is just for stables and not chickens  :)

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 00:52 »
I use equisorb, which is flax/hemp similar to aubiose but a bit cheaper. Unlike shavings, the flax beddings don't carry VAT so should work out cheaper!
ps....it's ages since i've been on (sorry!) .... site looks good but i shall have to practice with all the new buttons!

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51 »
Didn't know if anyone was interested in an update on Rapport - the Rape version of Hemcore, which is much cheaper.

I give it a thumbs up, 10/10! :D

I cleaned out my chook houses today, and was amazed. I lay newspaper, then put the rapport on top. The newspapers weren't even damp. Very different from when I was using shavings.

I do poo pick every day - but even so, I am suitably impressed, and the bale is HUGE for £6.50. Bargain!
Lukasmum :)

I tried rape bedding a while back and wasn't very impressed by its absorbancy.  I think it was Rapport though not sure.  I'm currently trialing Hemcore which is OK and seems quite absorbant.  I was attracted by the rot down qualities (I don't poo pick the house as its design eliminates the need and lifes too short as it is).  My chx do seem to like eating it though and it's a bit stick like to use in the nestbox.  I've found shavings to be my prefered litter but they aren't all created equal and Snowflakes brand is the best for absorbancy I've found, though it's also quite pricey at £8 a bale.  Other horse shavings I've tried aren't as absorbant and don't bulk up as well.  Snowflakes can be used as nesting too.  I've used chopped straw mixed with shavings (Beddown which my wife uses for the horses, which are much bigger than chx and have 4 legs and are useless layers but I digress.).  Ok in the nestbox but not so good for absorbancy or rotting and really difficult to use by hand in small quantities as it is so tightly packed in the bale and doesn't loosen up unless you split the bale which is not convenient for chicken use.  So currently it's a toss up between Snowflakes and Hemcore.

Also not all bales are created equally and it's worth checking the weight as well as how long it lasts in use.  Sacks of bedding are pretty low density so you can't judge them by volume size.  Shavings et al in bales are compressed and bulk up a lot in use.
HF
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:04 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 03:52 »
Oh .....and if anyone knows of a machine which chops straw could they let me know cos I've got a hole in my bucket!
HF
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:54 by hillfooter »

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27 »
 :nowink:  :lol: :lol:

xx
Bedding.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 13:45
by compostqueen
xx
Bedding.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 18:51
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
can I use hay for bedding?

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 20:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bedding

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 19:58
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 39 queries.