side by side greenhouses

• 5 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
side by side greenhouses
« on: April 03, 2016, 16:03 »
My new  8'6"x8'6" greenhouse has to go in the space between the small glass greenhouse and the old Norfolk plastic greenhouse. There is enough room for it and an 18in gap on either side.

I would rather have the new greenhouse butted up against the small greenhouse if poss.
Can I remove the glass on that side of the small one and just have the one layer of glass between the two, so I can clean it?
If I do that would I need more support for the frame where the glass was removed? Ally frames don't look that strong :wacko:
I realise that I'd probably need to fill the gap between the 2 frames  ;)

Sorry for all the questions, but, it all seemed so easy when I ordered it  :lol:

Headgardener22

Re: side by side greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 18:15 »
Can you bolt the two greenhouses together at the point where they but up? I would have thought that if you could do that then you might be able to remove bot lots of glass between the two greenhouses.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 18:23 »
I know you can do that with end to end greenhouses, but assumed the sides take a lot of weight from the roof, and they look very flimsy without any glass in  :wacko:

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 19:20 »
I don't think it would be a problem. The weight would be born by the vertical glazing bars which I assume you would leave in place. The glass doesn't normally reach right up to the 'gutter bar' so wouldn't bear any weight. The thought of horticultural glass bearing weight makes me shudder.

The glass does help to keep things square so an extra diagonal brace or two wouldn't hurt.

I would bolt strips of aluminium to the two corner posts at each end from the floor to eaves. Alternatively you could close the join with 'Adhesive Aluminium Flashing Tape' this would give a sacrificial joint if the two greenhouses move slightly independent of each other. You could also seal along the two gutters with the tape.

All this assumes the sides of the two greenhouses match each other, don't trust that an 8'6" greenhouse is actually 8'6". I made that mistake on my very first greenhouse and had to rebuild the brick base. Luckily I called the store to check the dimensions before hand (they told me it was 8'6") and when it didn't fit they refunded me half the cost of the greenhouse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 19:48 »
You're right about the measurements, though Triki.
It was an 8x8 I ordered, knowing that the actual measurement was 8'6" from the technical details I'd downloaded  :lol:

oakridge

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 21:25 »
At our last house, in the late 70s, we had a 12*6' leanto butted up to a 12*8' standard Alton and this worked very well indeed.  There was no glass between but two doors.

xx
2 greenhouses in to 1

Started by Caretaker on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:51
by Caretaker
question
greenhouses

Started by longey on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 08:13
by LilacSandy
xx
building greenhouses

Started by karlooben on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 21:04
by karlooben
xx
norfolk greenhouses

Started by bailey on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 07:46
by wozza

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.