Briggs and Stratton electrics

• 7 Replies

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
Briggs and Stratton electrics
« on: April 14, 2009, 18:59 »
I have read previous topics and looked at help pages but am still stuck with an old Merrytiller whcich won't start. No spark.

I have followed instructions and removed flywheel and exposed points. I have found two wires from the top of the condenser. The black one is properly fixed but the red one, about three inches long, is free and not fixed to anything - where should it go?

Gwiz

Re: Briggs and Stratton electrics
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43 »
Red, you say? :wacko:

they're normally both black!
one goes up to the coil, the other goes to the engine kill switch ( located on the either the carb or the tank mounting frame, depending on what engine you have)
Have you replaced the points? they don't last forever, and if you do, don't forget to "dress" the face of the points.
Is there any damage to the wires? is the insulation worn through anywhere?
does this red wire touch earth at all? ( if you get any shorting out to earth, it won't spark.)
How wide is the air gap between the arms of the coil and the side of the flywheel?
what type of spark plug cap have you got? some need the removable nipple on the top of the spark plug, and some don't.........

Fen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 20:08 »
Gwiz,

Thanks for your speedy reply. Got my wire brush out and have established the following;
Model 80302. Type 015401 Serial No 6312043.

Points don't look too bad, in 1963 my old mini ran on worse. I just need to sort out this second wire before I progress any further.

As I type, beginning to rain here in east cambs, first for  20+ days.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 20:37 »

Hello,

Do remember in points cleaning that an old Mini contacts had power of a battery coil set up and a quick scrape would often get them running again...would with my 1976 Mini Clubman Estate....and the points would operate seemingly quite ok in a quite worn pitted condition.

Single cylinder magneto sparks need immaculate clean and dry contacts...even grime from feeler gauges can loose a spark..so a final pull through the contacts once set with a bit of dry card is often good as final check for cleanliness.

Older B&S (and yours is a year newer than me.. ;)) would often only have had one wire to the condensor end... as they often had an earth clip to the spark plug top to kill spark to stop engine. 
 Later a second wire from condensor tip went back to a stop contact often on carb'/ mountings...or to a machine stop switch.....to earth the ignition to stop engine.....
  So perhaps your machine has been retro fitted with a bit of wire to a switch which has then subsequently been cropped and removed again.??
  This info is ref the type that have the contact face on the end of the condensor and have the wiring pushed into a hole in the condensor end held in place by a spring pushing onto it..

There was an older type of more conventional contacts etc that were on the go earlier.

All the best,
             "Dori"

Fen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 20:32 »
Gwiz and Don,

Thanks for your usefull replies.
Situation to date:
Gwiz, closer examination shows that both wires are black where they leave the condenser. The 'red' one, which appears to have been cleanly cut has obviously been sprayed red when the machine was perhaps refurbed.
Don, there is an earthclip next to the spark plug which makes me think that this second wire is now redundant and could be taped up.

I intend to replace the points and put it back together again, provided that I have sorted out the red/black wire beforehand.

Your further advice would be appreciated.

Bob

stuarth

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 15:36 »
try this it worked for me.
AJc9QeW48pQ

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:27 »
Another thing to check is to make sure the points are closing completely. You can use an Ohm meter or continuity light to confirm this. Also check gap on the coil between the flywheel and coil. You can also check the bushing at this time too. Set the gap on the weights which are opposite side of the magnets then roll around to the magnet side and recheck the gap. If it is way closer then the bushing is letting the crank wobble too much and is throwing everything off, even the point gap.

If you are still having problems I would install a Magnatron ign. unit that Briggs sells and do away with the points.

Fen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:34 »
We are now up and running!, eventually found that the black wire from the condensor to the coil was broken where it went through the metal casing. Freed off the stuck  exhaust valve, decoke and off we went.
Am now waiting for starter spring, petrol tank cap,and  fuel tap. Will change the oil, fit new air cleaner element, clean the rust of the rotors and then we should be off. Thanks to everyone for their help,

xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and Stratton 5 hp

Started by Praxxus on Equipment Shed

47 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:16
by Praxxus
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and stratton

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 20:54
by jezza

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.