To keep a fox at bay!!!!!

• 12 Replies

avalonbirds

To keep a fox at bay!!!!!
« on: May 28, 2011, 20:33 »
I have found that the best way to keep Mr Fox at bay is male urine..... Not very nice but does work.......
Get your OH to walk around your hen house and mark his teritory, the fox doesn't like this!!!!!
It's amazing that the government does'nt realise that since the ban on fox hunting, the amount of fox attacks have gone up......... I know this will upset some people, and I'm very sorry but there is a balance, and at the moment the scales have tipped towards Mr Fox!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I always say 'another mouth to feed won't hurt' .......

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: To keep a fox at bay!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 20:36 »
Why not tell that to the government that banned fox hunting then?  :tongue2:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:35 »
more attacks on our chooks is a small price to pay in my opinion for the banning of toffs on horses chasing foxes with there hounds

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:34 »
I wouldn't put top much faith in urine alone. We use it as one of many methods and where it helps limit the sunbathing and pooing in the garden (foxes, not me), it didn't stop the attack.  :(

And though I would have probably happily pulled the fox apart with my own teeth and nails if I'd caught him at the time, I'm pleased they have put a stop to such a brutal and inhumane way of culling animals.

But I'm not against culling, and would happily cull the neighbours that feed the foxes every night  :D
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:44 »
I wouldn't put top much faith in urine alone. We use it as one of many methods and where it helps limit the sunbathing and pooing in the garden (foxes, not me), it didn't stop the attack.  :(

And though I would have probably happily pulled the fox apart with my own teeth and nails if I'd caught him at the time, I'm pleased they have put a stop to such a brutal and inhumane way of culling animals.

But I'm not against culling, and would happily cull the neighbours that feed the foxes every night  :D

Same here I'm afraid  :( we had a fox attack despite my OH's best attempts  :ohmy:  He made a huge sacrifice as well.... he 'had' to drinks pints of beer to produce the 'deterrent'  :blink:

Like OpiumEater, I too would have happily culled the fox at the time of the attack, I'm not sure I feel that way now.  I just make sure my chooks are as safe as I can make them.   :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 13:05 »
i had a fox take all my hens on thursday night >:( i would gladly shoot the F ing thing if i saw it. people dont realise what damage they can do to a hen house!!! bring back fox hunting  ;) ( just my thoughts)

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 13:32 »
people dont realise what damage they can do to a hen house!!! bring back fox hunting  ;) ( just my thoughts)

Sorry to hear about your hens samurai  :(, though I was just picturing the damage to your hen house with a hunt going through it  :lol: Tally hoo!!!

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 16:57 »
opium eater. thats worth a pat on the back :D :D :D i could picture the scene  :)

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 17:11 »
On the Liberty and Livelyhood march in london,there were about 200,000 or so folks walking in a piecefull manner,demonstrating against the fox hunting ban,there was only one or two agressive people that i saw that day and they were those who were opposed to fox hunting.

Its quite clear that some people are opposed to fox hunting are more interested in having a bash at what they incorrectly percieve as a bunch of "Toffs" ,its nothing more than a form of predudice,be honest with yourself,what was the real reason that you wanted fox hunting banned.

I have an electric fence to protect my chooks from foxes and my wifes horses,the horses scratch themselves against the coop and cause lots of damage.Thefence is very effective,my dogs wont go near it,i hung a piece of bacon on it overnight and what ever tried to get the bacon,did not half yelp.

Dont rely on any single method of defense against a fox,the fox will get used to it and will find a way around it,Traps work but only as long as you are prepared to dispatch the trapped fox

I have my dogs walk around and mark the coups area,electric fence,fox trap, and i put a radio on playing a talk channel from time to time,i lost two at the start of the year but none since then.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 17:22 »
opium eater. thats worth a pat on the back :D :D :D i could picture the scene  :)

I'm glad you took it in the manner intended. It is so hard to show Tongue in cheek when typing, and was worried you'd take offence after I'd sent it  :unsure: But, glad we're on the same wavelength  :D :D

binghamd

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 20:52 »
Do you think we should encourage neighbours to feed the fox MORE. He might get enough to eat and not bother the hens!!
Can but live in hope.

Raven81

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 21:44 »
You just reminded me, my brother in law had a mole problem and wee'd down their hole!!

It worked short term!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 21:49 »
You probably drowned them  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.