Problem with bread.

• 28 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Problem with bread.
« on: March 13, 2013, 16:24 »

The scenario is this,  I've carried out the instructions to the letter but when I finally come to put the loaf tins and dough into the oven, I accidentally catch the corner of a tin on the door and the risen dough sinks like the Titanic ! 

Yet I see cooks/bakers on the T.V.  throwing the dough around like nobodies business.

Anyone any ideas on how to maintain my risen dough other than avoiding knocks?
  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Problem with bread.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 16:30 »
You don't throw risen dough around!

You're going to have to be more careful as you said!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 16:47 »
I am always careful with my tins of risen dough.  If I do catch them at all and they sink.  I just leave them to rise again.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 16:48 »
I let mine rise in the tin in the oven, then when its risen enough I turn the oven on - no problem.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 21:07 »
I do the same as Grendel.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 21:45 »

But GrannieAnnie, just like the Titanic - my loaves never rise again :(

That is a very good idea Grendel,  I shall give it a go. :)

Thanks for all your knowledgeable replies.  I could call it my speciality - pumpernickell ! ! !

Follow on question, the skin of my bread dough gets very dry and a tough(ish) skin. ???

Cheers,   Tony.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 21:49 »
I brush mine with oil - not your engine oil, Tony - sunflower oil. It keeps the top moist & stretchy whilst the dough is rising.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 23:04 »
I lightly oil a piece of cling film and lay that over the loaf tin, or I've just discovered that my big cake tray cover is just high enough to stop the dough drying out while it is rising.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:05 »
When I'm ready to do the first rise, I clean and dry the bowl, then rub a bit of olive oil everywhere and roll the ball of dough in that to let it rise. Any oil will do but I prefer olive oil.

When I do the 2nd rise, there's still enough oil left on the dough (or you can lightly wipe a bit more on). I've never had a hard or dry crust.

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:58 »
If the dough sinks that fast with a knock, (although it perhaps depends how hard the knock is) you may be leaving them to rise for too long. There is a simple two finger test you can do (no rude comments!), that works for all stages of bread making.
1. Knead until  when you push two fingers half an inch into the dough it bounces back and fills the depression left quickly.
2. It is ready to be 'knocked back' (a misnomer as you should never be heavy handed with your dough) when two fingers pushed in leave an indent that does not fill in. The finger impressions remain.
3. It is ready to bake when the indent left by two fingers fills in very slowly (this shows that the yeast is running out of the food it needs to rise. If two fingers leave an indent at this stage yoiu have over proved it and there is little that you can do. You could perhaps try deflating it and letting it rise a third time. To get it to rise well in the oven the yeast needs to still have some ability to rise left in it when it goes in. :)

grendel

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:35 »
to stop the dough going crusty, when I knead the bread I put a little veg oil on my hands before I knead, this stops the dough sticking, plus leaves the outside of the dough ball lightly oiled,
rising - 2 rises of 40-45 minutes each, first in the bowl with a teatowel over it (if the houdse is cold its done in the oven (we have an electric fan oven and I have found if you turn it on just very slightly so the 'heating' light just comes on for a few seconds occasionally it will run at just warmer than room temp- I marked the dial with a 'B' at this point) then kneaded and into the bread tin (no tea towel) then after the second 45 minutes just whack the oven to 180 deg for 35 minutes and bingo perfect bread (the dough mix I use at first seems very wet, but its good by the second rise.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38 »
heres what yesterdays granary loaf (1/3 granary flour - 2/3 white) came out like.
Grendel
IMG_3198 (Small).JPG

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52 »

More useful tips,  thanks once more.  I actually pour in about half an egg cup of good olive oil when starting to make the bread.

Cheers to one and all.  Tony.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14 »
I like a tablespoon of oil in too, or butter of course  :D

That looks a lovely loaf Grendel.  I prefer a wetter mixture than a drier one and it's just something you get used to, although it's a bit worrying at first but it soon comes together to a smooth ball. I think people panic and start chucking flour on which is not a good idea

I've been using malt flake flour recently and am now on a bag of mixed seed flour. I do like to experiment with different flours. Spelt is my favourite I think

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 11:43 »

Is that spelt correctly?  What is Spelt?  "Bit like Hou Hi is a Chinaman!"

Cheers,   Tony.

xx
Problem with bread m/c

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 20:27
by Poolfield2
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Bread Makers

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

64 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 01:21
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.