Which flower seeds will I only have to buy one packet of?

• 8 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Which flower seeds will I only have to buy one packet of?
« on: September 16, 2014, 16:03 »
I have never bothered with growing annuals until last year, when I got a free packet of calendula seeds with a magazine.  I sowed them, and was amazed to see the amount of seed that was produced after they had finished flowering, which I saved and sowed again this spring.  This year I got a fabulous display for free, and even more free seed.  Now it looks like that one packet is all I will ever need, I have collected masses more this year!

I'm hooked on collecting my own seed now, and this has got me thinking, are there any other annuals are such prolific self-seeders that I will only ever have to buy one packet?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Which flower seeds will I only have to buy one packet of?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 16:11 »
Nasturtiums, cornflowers, poached egg plants, poppies, nigella, sweet peas, borage. Sow them once, have them forever!  :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 16:22 »
Forget Me Nots and Foxgloves, although I think the latter are biennials. Still lovely!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 18:29 »
Verbena bonariensis, aquilegias.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:36 »
Can't believe I never even realised you could collect sweet pea seeds, they are the one annual I DO grow!  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39 »
How NOT to do it:

Buy a packet of mixed summer annual flower seeds, rake in and water, enjoy the lovely display of flowers, and leave them to do their own thing hoping for a repeat performance the following year.  :wub:

Within 3 years the dominant grower/seed producer, which in my case was borage, had completely taken over and swamped all the others, and took another couple of years to get rid of.  :ohmy:

Any summer annuals I grow now are sown separately indoors so I know exactly what I'm getting - everything else gets repeatedly hoed off before planting them out, which if nothing else avoids the tricky problem of trying to identify which seedlings are which (or are actually weeds, of course.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 21:26 »
Alyssum & antirrhinum are both easy self seeders.

All I do is pull out any seedlings that are making straggly plants rather than compact plants, to keep a better garden strain.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 14:52 »

Any summer annuals I grow now are sown separately indoors so I know exactly what I'm getting - everything else gets repeatedly hoed off before planting them out, which if nothing else avoids the tricky problem of trying to identify which seedlings are which (or are actually weeds, of course.)

Yes, that's how I'm planning to do it - collect the seeds into an envelope and sow into modules -  otherwise I won't be able to identify the difference between weed seedlings and annual seedlings (although I can identify a calendula seedling from a 100 paces now!)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 15:19 »
 :D Hollyhocks!   :nowink: Don't really do flowers but I do love them, so showy and so easy.  I have a pink/salmon selection  :wub:

xx
ok to sow flower seeds now?

Started by poohpouri on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 14:27
by robbodaveuk
xx
What flower seeds should I order?

Started by Swing Swang on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:30
by Sue32
xx
out of date flower seeds

Started by Little Miss Muffet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 17:03
by zebraff
xx
Flower seeds to sow now for next year

Started by Scotch Thistle on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:32
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.