Wilting Cucumber's!

• 7 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Wilting Cucumber's!
« on: June 19, 2010, 18:08 »
Cucumbers  :tongue2:

Stupid things ... my first set died, one minute they where fine the next minute dead! i think it was my own fault i suspect i over watered them

So i bought a couple of pugs which i had under poly and seemed to be doing fine, but i went out yesterday and one has wilted, it still seems to be alive but i suspect it's dying.

I thought maybe it was too warm under the poly so i took it off but it doens't seem to be any better, it's "companion" still seems to be fine but im worried i'm going to lose this too any idea's where i went wrong?? it wasn't over watering this time!! i want to keep at least keep this one alive.

BenefitofHindsight

• My Garden
Re: Wilting Cucumber's!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 18:47 »
KT,
Check the stem for signs of damage - cucumbers are prone to rotting off for apparently no reason.  Any leaf damage or yellowing?  If so, may be something a little more serious.  Alternatively have a poke around in the soil if you dare - there may be something eating away at the roots...
BoH
if only I knew yesterday what I know today...

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 18:57 »
No stem/leaf damage that i can see, i had a poke around and i cant find anything living in there with it though granted i was abit scared to disturb it too much. Though i will say it didn't seem to have much of a root system that i could find though it could have just been lower than i dared to look.

BenefitofHindsight

• My Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 19:03 »
Is it an outdoor/ridge variety?  I've had mixed success with claimed 'indoor/outdoor' types - may just be survival of the fittest given the generally poor weather we're experiencing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 19:10 »
I've said it before....cucumbers wake up every morning looking for a new way to die :ohmy:

Sometimes you just cannot work out what is wrong with them.....they are awkward so and sos. This year I'm sure it's all to do with the weather, though why 1 should live and 1 should die ......who knows.
But you are not alone in your misery, so far I have sown 8...1 survived, sowed another 8 another 2 survived...not good  :(

butterfly blue

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 19:51 »
I've said it before....cucumbers wake up every morning looking for a new way to die :ohmy:

Sometimes you just cannot work out what is wrong with them.....they are awkward so and sos. This year I'm sure it's all to do with the weather, though why 1 should live and 1 should die ......who knows.
But you are not alone in your misery, so far I have sown 8...1 survived, sowed another 8 another 2 survived...not good  :(

Thank you for that makes me feel much better, as mine are looking a tad off at the min  :unsure:
Kelly x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 20:01 »
I've never had a problem with cucumbers (famous last words). 

I always plant them on a mound so that the stems NEVER get wet.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 20:11 »
Oh well at least i feel better knowing im not the only one suffering, i had no trouble last year ... sigh

xx
A wilting cucumber

Started by skyelass on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 13:59
by compostqueen
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
Wilting cucumber plants

Started by marigold on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 15:55
by paintedlady
xx
Wilting Tarragon

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 19:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 40 queries.