Brassicas wilting and going yellow!

• 3 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Brassicas wilting and going yellow!
« on: May 15, 2019, 15:31 »
Hi,

Any advice, please?

Planted all my brassicas a week or so ago - they were lovely, healthy plants, a good size and well hardened-off - but now they're all going yellow with some purple thrown in, and are wilting and dying.

The ground was manured, I've added lime and they've been well-watered. Feeling very fed up!

I added lime around the plants on planting to help deter club root, which is prevalent on our allotment. Could it be I added too much?

Any other ideas on what the cause might be, and how I might salvage my poor plants?

Many thanks in advance!

Pimmy.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Goosegirl

Re: Brassicas wilting and going yellow!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35 »
Did your soil need liming and if so, what sort of lime did you use?
Was your manure well-rotted and how long afterwards did you add the lime because if you did it too soon it would react with the manure, then over-liming can lock up certain nutrients in the soil.
You've nothing to lose by digging them up and remove some of the soil around their roots and also the planting hole, then get a bag of ericaceous compost and plant them in again.
I garden on heavy silt which is just over neutral pH (7.0) and it retains nutrients very well but if I feel the need to add something to raise the pH for brassicas and to "sweeten" the soil, I use calcified seaweed meal which has a more gentle impact on the soil. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 14:33 »
I'd say it's just transplant shock, especially if you've had a few hot sunny days like we have. As long as they have enough water (but are not soaking wet!) they should recover with no ill effects apart from losing a few leaves.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 15:05 »
Thanks for that, Lesley... I've had another look this morning and some new growth's emerging.. They seem to be starting to pick up, so I think you're right! Fingers crossed, anyway! :)

xx
Wilting Brassicas

Started by rw3272 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 11:55
by Kristen
xx
Wilting Courgettes

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 19:19
by Growster...
xx
Wilting Chilli

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 07:49
by 8doubles
xx
Wilting Cucumber's!

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 20:11
by KT

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 41 queries.