Monty Dons war on peat based compost

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

Monty Dons war on peat based compost
« on: March 22, 2020, 20:55 »
`if you where watching Gardeners world Friday  well maybe you was because they closed the pubs early
anyway if you did did you here him say he was going to talk about an alternative to peat based compost and as usual coir was the best alternative to peat based  since sliced bread   :tongue2:

i can't wait to see what he comes up with together with a compatible price as an alternative to peat based  :nowink:

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
Re: Monty Dons war on peat based compost
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 21:44 »
Like please

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 23:07 »
I hate to say this, but anyone stubbornly clinging on to peat based compost really need a wake up call. It's not some nuanced and debatable issue like man made climate change or something, peat bog destruction causes a real and tangeable damage to the local eco systems. Switch composts, use manure pellets or other fertilizers to supplement your growing media  and move on. Peat really is unsustainable.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:03 »
If you must have peat-based compost there are some sustainably sourced brands on the market, such as Moorland Gold, but they aren't cheap to buy.
Moorland Gold range of composts are unique, as they are made with a naturally occurring peat product which is collected through water filtration as a result of natural erosion with man playing no part in its formation. They are not extracted from peat bogs
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:04 by mumofstig »

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 19:02 »
i note your replies and of cause i respect your concerns however i have used peat free compost in the past and i found it not as good for growing like peat based  as i have said in the past i will be the first to use peat free composts when the compost companies come up with a suitable alternative to peat based

and i don't really think i need to wake up to climate change because like most i have seen climate change happen but we can kick and shout and march  till the cows come home we need to get other countries on board but i fear some countries are more involved in wealth rather than cleaning up the planet its a shame but true and even haven't even touched on plastic waste

xx
Peat Free Compost

Started by Agatha on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post September 18, 2022, 17:57
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Rockery based on clay?

Started by ConfusedGardener on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 23:40
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Peat Debate - GW

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

22 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 11:48
by mumofstig
xx
B&Q = Peat free.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 13:19
by lettice

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 35 queries.