Name that weed!

• 8 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
Name that weed!
« on: February 12, 2010, 18:00 »
Hi, i got my own allotment last november and it hadn't been touched for over two years, (it was like a jungle, 5ft high in places) i hired an industrial strimmer and took it all down to ground level and dug part of it over. i put in one raised bed which i planted my garlic in and that is now about 3 inch tall! i want to start to prepare the rest of the plot now but it is covered with this weed along with the occasional dot leaf and dandilion dotted around. i know that the type of weeds that grow are a good indication to the type of soil so i thought i would post on here to ask the experts what this weed is and what it tells me about my soil and what is the best way to get rid of them. thanks matt.
Weed.jpg

Ropster

Re: Name that weed!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 18:04 »
looks like creeping buttercup to me

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 18:08 »
ive got a close up of one of the leaves
Weed close up.jpg

gillie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 18:33 »
Yes.  I think it is creeping buttercup too.  You will have to dig up every single little bulblet or it will be back.

Roundup might be justified.

Gillie

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 19:15 »
It`s the buttercup alright. To save money, don`t buy Roundup go to your local Wilkos or B&Q and buy Glyphosate.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 19:38 »
thanks for the advise, i have got some round up in a sprayer thingy at home that i use on the patio, if i use this will it not effect anything i grow where it has been sprayed? ive covered just under half the plot with black plastic sheets to try and kill it off!

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 20:17 »
Black plastic will not kill off perennial weeds such as buttercup and docks. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 20:28 »
thanks for the advise, i have got some round up in a sprayer thingy at home that i use on the patio, if i use this will it not effect anything i grow where it has been sprayed? ive covered just under half the plot with black plastic sheets to try and kill it off!

Round up become inactive on the soil after a very short time. So as long as you don't actually spray any wanted plants with it then you'll be ok.

That buttercup gives you a good indication that your soil is damp and probably prone to a little water logging.
Try giving it a double dig in the worst places, it's possible the previous tenant has rotovated it too much and caused a "pan" under the top 6" of soil.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 23:02 »
Roundup, or other glyphosate containing weedkiller, is very effective on creeping buttercup.

Keep to the label and it will work. You can spray when it is cold, it will just take a little longer to show signs of dying.
 - apply when the leaves are dry
 - there must be 6 hours of dry weather afterwards.
 - wait 10 days, or until the centres of the plants start to yellowing, before cultivating.

Once the centres show yellowing the chemical has penetrated to the furthest point and the roots stop functioning. Either dig over and bury, or dig them out. Does not matter which as the plants are dead.

If you apply with a watering can with a fine rose, or better still with a dribble bar, you will have no problem with spray drifting on to other crops or lawns. If you do use a sprayer avoid drift by using it at low pressure i.e. do not pump it up much.

If you have been spraying and you walk on wetted weeds be careful not to walk on your lawn or you will get welly shaped dead patches. Been there, done that.

You can plant immediately afterwards.

xx
What is this weed?

Started by zucchiniqueen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 08:48
by zucchiniqueen
xx
What is this weed?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2007, 19:43
by jacnal
xx
Weed ID Please

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 09:01
by joyfull
xx
New weed - to me at least!

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2023, 11:16
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.