What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2018, 22:28 »
The aubergine plants in the greenhouse didn't like the cold night so picked all the remaining fruit today.  Aubergine curry and a soy braised aubergine dish with pork made for the freezer this afternoon, so all cooked out. 

Luckily there were overs, so I had the curry with rice and some stir-fried greens  :)

madcat

« Reply #571 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17 »
Or just trying to do too much in too few hours? :dry:
Honestly I'm doing less - it's just annoying me more  :lol:

Ahh ... that's age!  Not only does it bring wisdom, but also less patience with timewasting idiots... human, machine or just s*d's law!   :D

Tonight is pork, apple, cider and beans in the slow cooker.  Greens of some sort on the side and a chunk of bread for OH.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #572 on: September 14, 2018, 19:54 »
Yesterdays left over, not often I don't, or can't finish off liver and onions but I was full to bursting yesterday.

... also less patience with timewasting idiots...

Funny you're the second person to say that to me today :nowink:

Tonight is pork, apple, cider and beans in the slow cooker. 

Curious - as I have a lump of piggy for the weekend - what type of beans and do you thicken the cider to make a sauce, Id imagine it would be a little thin?

madcat

« Reply #573 on: September 15, 2018, 09:20 »
Curious - as I have a lump of piggy for the weekend - what type of beans and do you thicken the cider to make a sauce, Id imagine it would be a little thin?

It was a layer of chopped (peeled and cored) apple fallings, then soaked cherokee beans (tryout before growing - very good), but you could use butter beans or borlottis or haricot. In a pan I briefly fried off some belly pork chunks, added onions and garlic to soften in the fat.  Once soft, a bit of flour to take up the fat and thicken the sauce.  Cook it in then add the cider to make a quite thick sauce, as the apples will add more liquid in due course.  Add to slow cooker.  Finish off with more apples, and in yesterdays case, a bit of courgette and a sad tomato.  Important - do not salt it until you have finished cooking or the beans will be like bullets!!!  Leave to blub for at least 6 hrs (your lump will need more).  About an hour before serving if you think the juices too runny, a small handful of pearl barley will thicken it nicely.

Tonight the griddle will be coming out - a couple of (not very big) gammon steaks have just come out of the freezer, with griddled courgette, tomato (see a theme here?  ::)), potato cake for OH and green salad on the side.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2018, 18:49 »
Mince and onions in gravy with runner beans and cannellini beans.

This afternoon, I picked up a reduced unsmoked gammon joint from the Co op, that'll do nicely for tomorrow (and most of the week  :lol: )

jaydig

« Reply #575 on: September 15, 2018, 18:52 »
Mince and onions in gravy with runner beans and cannellini beans.

This afternoon, I picked up a reduced unsmoked gammon joint from the Co op, that'll do nicely for tomorrow (and most of the week  :lol: )
Great minds thinks alike, MoS - I've just taken an unsmoked ham joint out of the slow cooker ready for tomorrow.  Going to make a potato bake, and tray of roast vegetables to go with it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #576 on: September 16, 2018, 08:17 »
Last night was one of those half the plot soups - spuds too tiny to do much with, onions too small to store, then whatever bits of harvest were there to use up - peppers, tomatoes, beans and greens.  The base was hm chicken stock from the freezer and I made bread rolls to go with it.   It was garnished with grated cheese from a nub end found in the fridge.

For a meal scratched together from bits and bobs it was pretty successful  :)

madcat

« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2018, 17:28 »
Sunshine outside and a forecast of a warm evening - hold that bbq, we are going to use it one last time before it goes away for the winter!  Quick dive into the freezer - couple of chilli marinaded chicken thighs, some sausages, lots of vegs for veg kebab sticks, corn on the cob fresh from plot.... don't know what else but a bottle of wine has gone in the fridge.  Forget the diet, tonight we will celebrate the indian summer!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: September 17, 2018, 18:25 »
I've been sitting in the greenhouse with a can of Thatcher's and have just eaten cold sliced gammon, small boiled plot potatoes and naked coleslaw, Rosella toms and Mini-munch cuke from the greenhouse.

Except from the gammon and the carrot in the coleslaw, everything home grown. Perfect :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 18:27 by mumofstig »

snowdrops

« Reply #579 on: September 17, 2018, 19:58 »
We’re away for a few days & we’re near the best ever motorway services at Tebay, the farm shop is fantastic, so we had 2 pieces of fillet steak(£6 something), lyonnaise potatoes,carrots,green beans,mushrooms,toms & baby courgettes, all veg homegrown apart from the mushrooms
Followed by a selection on desserts from their patisserie oh & a few glasses of vine colapso
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

madcat

« Reply #580 on: September 17, 2018, 22:26 »
I've been sitting in the greenhouse .....naked ......Perfect :D

Erm ... that was how I read it first time ...  I had to go back and try again ... such a disappointment!  :lol: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #581 on: September 18, 2018, 08:53 »
I've been sitting in the greenhouse .....naked ......Perfect :D

Erm ... that was how I read it first time ...  I had to go back and try again ... such a disappointment!  :lol: :lol:

😂😂😂

Lardman

« Reply #582 on: September 18, 2018, 17:00 »
Naked coleslaw  ::)  is that like deconstructed cottage pie  :nowink:  ;)

I'm back to bland again  :( Spud nuking time, can't decided on tuna and mayo or cheese, both isn't an option  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #583 on: September 18, 2018, 17:13 »
Naked coleslaw  ::)  is that like deconstructed cottage pie  :nowink:  ;)
You think coleslaw has to be dressed, then?  :lol:

I've having more cold gammon but with a mild curried veg for a change  ;)

madcat

« Reply #584 on: September 18, 2018, 17:44 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slice of game pie with lots of calabrese in cheese sauce, steamed charlottes on the side for OH.

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishing Season 2018

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

69 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 15:12
by Aled

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 51 queries.