What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

Lardman

Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #495 on: August 27, 2018, 20:36 »
Hope you get something edible sorted, Lardman

By the time Id added peppers, chillies, onions and extra cheese to the pizza it was passable as food.   ;) although I would rather have joined New Shoots.

The pork was finally shreddable just after 9pm , it's still chewy even after 11 hours - I'll not be buying that again! I wanted a meat and 2 veg meal so that's what I'll have. Waiting for the roasties at the moment to complete the roast piggy dinner, with the works.  Finally a meal without a tomato in sight  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #496 on: August 28, 2018, 19:03 »
More roast piggy dinner  :tongue2: - mash, no roastie tonight though and the mixed veg have had to be supplemented with sprouts (frozen shop bought) as ocado had run out  :ohmy:

Do they still make Jamaican Ginger cake ? a noggin covered in thick custard would finish things off nicely, must be the weather.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: August 28, 2018, 19:41 »
A couple of soddages, onions cooked in the sausage fat, peas & corn with some baby potatoes :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #498 on: August 28, 2018, 20:17 »
Do they still make Jamaican Ginger cake ? a noggin covered in thick custard would finish things off nicely, must be the weather.  ::)
Yes they do :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: August 29, 2018, 11:14 »
Late night yesterday, so chicken salad and flatbreads when I got it. 

Tonight is a lasagne with homemade tomato sauce and whatever I can forage from the greenhouse and pick off the left over roast chicken from Monday.  There are some aubergines and possibly a pepper or two, plus more tomatoes, so I could make some roasted veg to pad it out.

As long as it is covered with golden melty cheese, OH will be all smiles  ;)

madcat

« Reply #500 on: August 29, 2018, 17:52 »
Back from 10 days at a festival (5 days to build, 4 days of music etc and 1 day to tear it all down again!) so you can imagine what we found at the allotment!  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Let's start with a veg korma for tonight (ie overgrown courgette plus), lemon cuc in yogurt and rice for OH.  Then tomato pasta sauce for the freezer .... Plum puree ditto ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

snowdrops

« Reply #501 on: August 29, 2018, 20:23 »
Steak & kidney pie,steamed Charlottes,carrots green bean & cabbage (all hg 😊) lovely gravy. More fruit crumble in a mo, just what we needed after all our hard graft turning our old fish pond into a smaller wildlife pond with bog gardens.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #502 on: August 29, 2018, 20:40 »
Steak & kidney pie

Puff, rough puff, shortcrust or suet?  :tongue2:  mmmm pie.  :tongue2:

I finished off the piggy and all the veggies in the freezer  :ohmy: which feels a good excuse to defrost it before shopping day,  I'll have to get creative with some pasta tomorrow.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #503 on: August 29, 2018, 21:10 »
Steak & kidney pie

Rough puff is fine but for a cold winter's day it has to be suet :)

Tonight: super sausages, colcannon and French beans. :)

snowdrops

« Reply #504 on: August 29, 2018, 21:17 »
Steak & kidney pie

I finished off the piggy and all the veggies in the freezer  :ohmy: which feels a good excuse to defrost it before shopping day,  I'll have to get creative with some pasta tomorrow.
Puff pastry(bought ready rolled)  being a skinflint yorkshire lass, I’ve taken to buying ready rolled & dividing it up in to the size of my pie dish(rectangular) I get 4 I think from I sheet, I use 1 to top my pie for that night, then place the others in greaseproof paper & freeze flat before bagging them up. I cook a 3/4 lb batch of the filling in the slow cooker, then when cold divide it up in to portions for the 2 of us, freeze & then I get 5 or 6 pies for little effort, weeks for me 😊, plus I use the pastry for other pies I.e chicken or chicken & ham, turkey . Great for busy days.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 21:24 by snowdrops »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: August 30, 2018, 07:38 »
Last night was a HM minted lamburger (from the freezer) with baked beans - CBA fairy was here again  ::)

Today I've a lt of milk to use up so cheese sauce over pasta and broccoli - excess sauce for the freezer  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:40 by mumofstig »

madcat

« Reply #506 on: August 30, 2018, 10:22 »
There is some bacon that needs using, so I think I'll make a couple of quiches this afternoon.  One for tonight with green salad, the other can go later in the week.  (The man I have bought my eggs from for the last errr ... 15 ? years has given up his hens after having a lot of eggs stolen.  :mad:  Now what am I going to do??  :unsure: )

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2018, 11:14 »
...  (The man I have bought my eggs from for the last errr ... 15 ? years has given up his hens after having a lot of eggs stolen.  :mad:  Now what am I going to do??  :unsure: )
That's so sad - 2 legged vermin  :mad:
Have you thought about getting hens yourself? They're easier than cats! :)

Lardman

« Reply #508 on: August 30, 2018, 18:01 »
Now what am I going to do??  :unsure: )

Get some hens - You really won't like going back to 3 week old shop bought ones, they're nasty.

Im not feeling much like pasta tonight; so it's rice pudding, slightly sweetened and with a goodly sprinkle of nutmeg. Tomorrow I shall be spending many hours scrubbing the slow cooker pot  - worth it ::)

madcat

« Reply #509 on: August 31, 2018, 09:49 »
That's so sad - 2 legged vermin  :mad:
Have you thought about getting hens yourself? They're easier than cats! :)

Erm... no thanks.  They wont take kindly to being left for long periods, which is why we are cat-free at the moment after our last old lady died.  The allotment is a bit more forgiving!

My slow cooker is out, with a joint of pork sitting on lots of lovely veg and bathed in cider.  Sliced tonight with calabrase and courgette in cheese sauce, steamed cabbage and a few charlottes for OH.  Then cold tomorrow and the last bits chucked back in with the veg as a pork casserole.  3 meals in one slow cooker - what's not to love!

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishing Season 2018

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

69 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 15:12
by Aled

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 50 queries.