Lily-of-the-valley

• 14 Replies

viettaclark

Lily-of-the-valley
« on: March 12, 2011, 00:05 »
Just planted out 60 pips with roots that arrived this morning but the only instructions were to plant 1" deep.
I assumed that was the shoot bit (pip?) but it was getting too tedious to dig 60 deep holes for some roots that were over 6" long so I laid them horizontally in 2" deep channels and covered up so pips were about an inch under. Bit like raspberries!
I also didn't know if I was supposed to soak the roots but the soil is quite moist and I watered them after planting. The soil is free-draining and loamy (how they're supposed to like it)
I planted some a few years ago which didn't ever come up so I'm hoping I've done the right things!
Oh...and I put fbb in the channels.

Trillium

Re: Lily-of-the-valley
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:27 »
As long as they're in the ground with some watering, they'll grow - like weeds. I had lily of the valley here when I moved in and 10years later I'm still pulling out lily valley roots  >:( They're worse than weeds and are coming up in the lawns. Hope you really love them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:44 »
If in doubt about where and how to plant you could stick a few in a deep container and leave them in a cool/unheated greenhouse that way you'll have some early flowers.

If they like the position (not too much sun I've found) you may well be selling them on Ebay soon.  ;)

Restricting the area they can grow in is sometimes a useful thing... up against a concrete path might stop them spreading. Any those that make it into the lawn will be kept in control by the mower.

Great for a damp, shady corner. Lovely scent. Good luck.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:17 »
They even pushed their way through weed suppressant fabric in my old garden, so I wouldn't worry too much about how you plant them ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:25 »
Can't understand why the first lot failed then!
I've got a lovely place for them under azaleas in a shady-ish corner and it would be fantastic if they spread out as ground cover among the camelias, ferns and euponymous.
The other way is lawn but I'm planning edging anyway.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30 »
They certainly will spread out and I'm not sure that your plants will thrive. As for lawn edging, their roots will go down under it as they did with me. Why not plant in very deep, bottomless containers and see how it goes from there.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:43 »
Can't understand why the first lot failed then!
I've got a lovely place for them under azaleas in a shady-ish corner and it would be fantastic if they spread out as ground cover among the camelias, ferns and euponymous.
The other way is lawn but I'm planning edging anyway.

They like it damp. The azaleas will suck the moisture up so keep them well watered if they are in the same position or where the soil dries.

I think they prefer shade too.

My parents have a huge spreading patch which benefitted from the chap next-door flooding their garden when he periodically frequently forgot to turn off the hose filling his pond.  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 16:55 »
And my former lily of valley thrived in my bone dry garden! They sucked every drop of moisture out of the soil and simply took over, thriving even when I couldn't get a spade or fork into the soil for dryness and roots. They really are tough, and as I said before, will eventually creep into places you don't want.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 19:21 »
And my former lily of valley thrived in my bone dry garden! They sucked every drop of moisture out of the soil and simply took over, thriving even when I couldn't get a spade or fork into the soil for dryness and roots. They really are tough, and as I said before, will eventually creep into places you don't want.

Sounds very uncomfortable Trillium  :blink:  :nowink:

Allotmentgirl

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 22:45 »
This is very strange - I have tried many times to grow Lily-of-the-valley but they just dont like my garden or any other garden along my terrace. We seem to have ideal conditions but they never show their heads how ever many I plant. I wonder why?

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 23:22 »
This is very strange - I have tried many times to grow Lily-of-the-valley but they just dont like my garden or any other garden along my terrace. We seem to have ideal conditions but they never show their heads how ever many I plant. I wonder why?

Try then in a tub with some well firmed compost if you want to grow them. I pulled carefully lifted... no, 'pulled', up some roots when I was weeding and stuck them in an old miniature wheelbarrow... then forgot them and they grew.  ;)

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 20:17 »
As long as they're in the ground with some watering, they'll grow - like weeds. I had lily of the valley here when I moved in and 10years later I'm still pulling out lily valley roots  >:( They're worse than weeds and are coming up in the lawns. Hope you really love them.
Yay! so glad to hear this, just palnted a few roots up in my front garden in a dark corner - and i really want them to spread!
Fingers crossed.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

rozalia

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 17:01 »
I planted my lily of-t-v roots in a similar fashion 2 years ago and nothing happened so last year I bought them in the 'green' (more expensive but I could see that they were growing) and they are just poking through the soil at the moment. Hope yours are going to be OK.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 17:07 »
They're funny things - they seem to sulk for ages/months/years, then go off like a rocket....be warned..!!! :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 19:30 »
They're funny things - they seem to sulk for ages/months/years, then go off like a rocket....be warned..!!! :blink:

Very true. My parents have an ever expanding patch - even the neighbours are getting a share!  :blink: They came originally from my mother's childhood home in Somerset, a patch was transported to London and then to our southcoast home. All did well.

When I married I was given some to  put in our new garden but they've never really settled in. I think my wife (a very keen flower gardener) might be responsible for their slow growth. She tidies up and moves things all over the place!

I think Lily-of-the Valley prefer to be left alone to settle in. Once they've been given conditions that suit them there's no stopping them.  ::)

xx
Lily of the Valley

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 11:41
by Sweetpea C
xx
Lilly of the valley

Started by Remy on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:38
by sunshineband
xx
Lilly of the Valley

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 19:26
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lily

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 19:35
by peapod

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.