Lilly of the valley

• 23 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Lilly of the valley
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:15 »
I've got quite a few lilly of the valley in my garden, although I ejoy the sight & fragrance they give me, they are starting to take over a bit. I don't wamt to throw them away but was going to transplant some in the front garden.

When is the best time to do this & will the plant survive?

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
Re: Lilly of the valley
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 13:33 »
It is reccomended to divide after flowering so should move well then but if you dig large clumps out with a good spadefull of soil it should move any time - it is pretty tough really.
Just give it a good soak after moving should be fine
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 13:35 »
if it were me i'd move them in the autumn to give them time to settle down before flowering again.
Think it's a bit late to do it this year, specially as we've had a warm few weeks

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 21:48 »
It's normal to move them "in the green", any time from when they emerge to just after they flower.  Obviously, if you can wait for them to flower you'll get a better display than if you disturb them first.  They don't survive well being transplanted during the dormant period (from when the leaves die down in early-mid summer through until the end of winter) - you can lose the whole lot if you're unlucky.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 22:11 »
It's normal to move them "in the green", any time from when they emerge to just after they flower.  Obviously, if you can wait for them to flower you'll get a better display than if you disturb them first.  They don't survive well being transplanted during the dormant period (from when the leaves die down in early-mid summer through until the end of winter) - you can lose the whole lot if you're unlucky.
Funny.....i've been lucky then cos thats when i've always moved them and never lost any yet :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 22:11 »

Good advice - definitely "in the green" and then they are as tough as old rope..... especially if you transplant to somewhere suitable....

We have a mass in a very damp and quite cool / shaded spot....gradually popping up in the lawn too but the mower helps keep them back - just!

Take care - I think they are poisonous.... so avoid mixing with the salad leaves!!  ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 22:14 »
Ok will do it in acouple of week

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40 »
Funny.....i've been lucky then cos thats when i've always moved them and never lost any yet :D

I think if you dig up a whole clump and replant immediately you'll get away with it, it's when people clean them up and dry them off that it goes horribly wrong.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 19:17 »

I think if you dig up a whole clump and replant immediately you'll get away with it, it's when people clean them up and dry them off that it goes horribly wrong.

Yep.... done that and it did....go horribly.... well, nothing - - - - not a shoot.
Move them green and they hardly notice as long as they get their feet in the cool  8)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 20:03 »
I had to clean out the masses of plants I had because they were taking over. I literally ripped them out by the leaves and any that landed on the ground and were forgotten simply rooted back in by themselves. Tough? Definitely. I had roundup them 3X to finally kill them off. I still find the occasional runner and immediately dig it out as I'm now fed up with them.
Did you know that the lily of valley scent is the only one that must be manufactured? The flowers simply won't yield their fragrance as you can with roses and such.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 00:27 »
A great-aunt of mine, from Somerset, gave some to her sister-in-law (my grandmother) so Lilly of the Valley moved to the Big Smoke and from there down to sunny Sussex... then a transplant from my mother's garden to mine... they've been in the family for around 100 years!  ::)

And.... we have the family Aspidistra too... It was a wedding present to my grandparents and now sits in my mum's place... my wife is next in-line.  ???

Amazing how hardy some plants are. When my mum was little she cleaned the leaves with furniture polish  :blink: but it survived. About 20 years ago it was repotted for the 2nd time in its life. Just as well it doesn't grow outside all year  :tongue2: or there'd be another weed on the loose!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 20:42 »
Does it flower, Learner?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 23:37 »
Does it flower, Learner?

Not once as far as I know.... and I think someone would have told me  if it had.

Do they?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:42 »
Yes, they do, with weird flowers at ground level that at dark purple in a kind of ring -- many years ago when I was at school (yes I can just about remember that far back hahahaha) there was an aspidistra in the old greenhouse on the roof and it flowered every year.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 19:41 »
Yes, they do, with weird flowers at ground level that at dark purple in a kind of ring -- many years ago when I was at school (yes I can just about remember that far back hahahaha) there was an aspidistra in the old greenhouse on the roof and it flowered every year.

How much direct sunlight did it get? Ours does not take well to full sun and scorches although it appears to enjoy a bit of fresh air in the shade during summer.

xx
Lilly of the Valley

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 19:26
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lily of the Valley

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 11:41
by Sweetpea C
xx
Lily-of-the-valley

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 19:30
by Paul Plots
xx
sad lilly

Started by puravida on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 14:10
by garddwr bach

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.