Raspberries and weed membrane

• 6 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Raspberries and weed membrane
« on: March 29, 2012, 08:54 »
Hi, I've got a new allotment and have planted my raspberries, both summer and autumn varieties, in two rows. I intend to build a fruit cage with weed prevention fabric on the ground. I've never grown these before so I'm not sure how much bare earth to leave showing. Is it okay to have a foot wide long strip of bare earth running along each row. Six inches either side of each plant.  I'm not sure how the runners emerge . Hopefully this will make sense :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries and weed membrane
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24 »
Bear in mind that each plant will eventually form quite a wide clump, and that you need access for picking - staggering the planting in the rows would help with the spacing and with access from each side, but one foot between rows still sounds too tight to me.

If they didn't produce such delicious fruit they would probably be regarded as garden "thugs" - they will sucker both near and far from where originally planted and I suspect that weed fabric not only wouldn't stop that but might encourage them to shoot up further away (i.e. exactly where you don't want them to!)

Mulching is a more rasp-friendly way of covering the bare earth between plants and will make it easier to spot and remove unwanted suckers.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:34 »
I can vouch for them being thugs as I noticed about 8 new plants forming a few feet from my row yesterday and they soon shoot up! 

1st time growing them myself too from plants that were already on the plot and I can see they will take some managing!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:36 »
There's not many nicer weeds, though!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08 »
The RHS site gives this advice

"Plants should be 45-60cm (18in–2ft) apart, and if planting in rows, space the rows 1.8m (6ft) apart, ideally running north to south, so that they do not shade each other."

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Raspberries
I think a foot space will be swallowed up by the plants filling out once they grow. Training with wires might help contain them but I still think a foot will be too tight.

emptydraw

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:31 »
I have two rows running east to west, one row autumn (south side), one row summer (north side). They are in a 5ft wide bed, with about 2ft between rows, the've done really well. But have thrown up LOTS of new canes upto 3ft away from the main plants (mainly in the grass pathways). But so far its worked for me!

I think the only reason the RHS states 6ft, is to allow access between the rows. I can access mine from both sides and tie them into wires. But there is still a bit of digging out of new canes to do. But give them to fellow plot holders and aid raspberries in their efforts for world domination!

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 15:25 »
Hi, I dont think I explained myself too well :)  The two rows are already planted the right distance apart. I want to cover the whole of the ground with weed membrane but realise that I have to leave some bare earth under each row to allow for the suckers to appear. My question is " how wide does that gap of bare earth have to be ?"

xx
weed membrane

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 20:31
by digalotty
xx
Weed Suppressant Membrane

Started by rsdavis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 17:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Weed suppressant membrane

Started by Jaseywase on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 22:07
by operabunny
xx
Removing weed membrane

Started by suedenim on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 20:45
by suedenim

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 37 queries.