Carrot planters

• 8 Replies

Brambles

Carrot planters
« on: June 14, 2012, 22:57 »
This has probably already been done.. But this year I have used polystyrene fish boxes (from the local fishmonger) to plant my carrots.  They can be put up high on benches/tables and well out of the way of carrot root fly!  Nice warm boxes for this years awful weather and they seem to be doing so much better than other years.

chrissie B

Re: Carrot planters
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 21:42 »
good idea ive got mine in a planter , with all this water they should be massive
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 20:54 »
i have a few fish boxes but didnt think they would be deep enough for carrots, how deep are yours and what variety did you sow?
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34 »
i have a few fish boxes but didnt think they would be deep enough for carrots,

You didn't believe me then? ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 20:38 »
My allotment is at a pub and they get deliveries of chilled broccoli in deep polystyreen boxes( about 10 inches deep). I am trying carrots in them in a green house to speed things up. We shall see what results I get.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 21:57 »
ooh be good to know how you get on.
my boxes are only about 7'' deep maybe.
just when i was geting advice on making my raised bed everyone was saying make sure its  xx deep for root veg, so not sure about growing carrots and parsnip in containers.

i tried the dwarf carrots in an old trug last year but it didnt work very well.
im trying cylindrical beets this year so will see how that goes.

is it too late to try some carrots in them? i have a greenhouse i could put them in.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 22:14 »
Had great success in some cheap Been and Queued plastic crates in the past.  50/50 sharp sand and compost with a plastic liner up the sides.  Polystyrene boxes would be a bit warmer so I might keep an eye out for some.

Cheese makes everything better.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00 »
Had great success in some cheap Been and Queued plastic crates in the past.  50/50 sharp sand and compost with a plastic liner up the sides.  Polystyrene boxes would be a bit warmer so I might keep an eye out for some.

Oh, I like the look of that idea!  Think I might be trying it next year...  ;) (just need to write a list of all the things to try next year!)

Hannah :)

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 16:49 »
We have really determined carrot fly here- tried growing carrots in tubs, raised off the ground  last year and they still got to them!

Am having a carrot break this year, but am tempted by the thought of the tubs and in the bottom of the green house- if that doesn't work I think paying garden gnomes to shoot them will be my next plan!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Large planters...........

Started by Slowgrind on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 19:07
by Bluedave
xx
Zinc planters

Started by hectic on Frugal Living

18 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 21:35
by pete
xx
Free Planters for Potatoes and other Veg

Started by nobby400 on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 20:09
by nobby400
xx
carrot mesh

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 17:19
by purplebat

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.