Lawn help needed

• 6 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Lawn help needed
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:06 »
I am renewing my wedding vows on 6th May and having a do in my back garden.  The lawn has been mullered by the chickens and the dogs.  So, I've decided to ban them both from using the lawn unaccompanied this summer.  Is there anything I can do to get a good growth on the lawn and it looking good in five weeks?  I don't really want to have to re-turf.

Ta

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Lawn help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:20 »
I would think your best bet at this stage would be re-seeding. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28 »
Scarify to remove moss if necessary, spike to improve aeration if necessary, top-dress with a fine soil/sand mix to improve any uneven bits.

Re-seed any bare bits PDQ! (If you don't have to do that then apply weed & feed or just feed as appropriate.)

It won't turn into a bowling green in 6 weeks but should look a lot better than it does now!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 14:46 »
We have a local firm who will tend to your lawn and it costs about £15-18, maybe depends on its size. It's called Greenthumb and my friend uses them. Maybe you have one too that is reliable and recommended? You will probably have enough to do so it would be worth spending that much as it is such a special occasion. I have just modified this post as I went on-line to Which Local (I'm a susbcriber to Which) and there is Trugreen at Sandbach and Greenthumb at Newcastle, Staffs and also at Irlam. Which Local gives names of firms etc recommended by Which customers, so you shouold be ok with either of them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 14:53 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 23:14 »
Agree with above:

1)  Scarify

2)  Aerate

3)  Re-seed and feed.

If you're anything like me, this won't ever have been done, as I hate lawn with a passion and I only tolerate it because I haven't enough time and money to maintain proper plants!

But...you'll be amazed at how much a little scrape and spike will rejuvenate your lawn.  Setting up a sprinkler to keep it moist during dry weather will help alot too, we've had a horrendously dry March here and I've got sheep in the fields who will need supplementary food because the grass has barely grown since before Christmas :(

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 17:51 »
Thanks for that.  Have bought seed to cover the whole garden, and happen to have an aerator in the shed (not sure why).  Lets hope it's lush in five weeks!

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 21:09 »
I'm pleased to say that most of my lawn is lush.  Some hasn't grown much, but generally the lawn looks very green and healthy with only a couple of thinnish patches.  I'm very pleased, amazing what you can do in four weeks!!

xx
Lawn help needed

Started by Snap Dragon on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 06:39
by Gwiz
xx
Lawn Therapy Needed

Started by Tango Charlie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2022, 20:39
by jezza
xx
Lawn advice needed please

Started by bedifferent on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 22:22
by mrs bouquet
clip
MY lawn !!!!§

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2020, 13:53
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 40 queries.