Gladioloi

• 5 Replies

fatbelly

Gladioloi
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:33 »
Now that I have harvested my Glads for the vase. What do I do with the bulbs in the ground? Just leave them in the ground for next year or lift them up.
Thanks
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gladioloi
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37 »
My grandfather used to lift them in the autumn, dry them in front of the open fire & break off the dead previous year's corm before storing.

You'll also find some cormlets, (if that's the right word), that can be planted to make larger corms for future years.

Of course in those days, you'd get REAL frosts!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 16:05 »
Cormlets is correct.  Plant them out in April or may and they should flower in about 2 years.  (Which is fine if you've got space to spare!).
I bet they look beautiful.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Gladioloi
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 22:43 »
Lifting them is recommended but I don't bother and they are still flowering well after about 4 years.

Trillium

Gladioloi
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 15:19 »
And I'm on the opposite side of the scale - if I don't lift them for winter, the ground freeze we get kills them. All depends on your area climate and how much ground freeze you get.

When I lift mine after the first hard frost, I just cut off all the green top stuff and let them dry on screening. Once dry, I knock off all clinging dirt then store them in milk type crates until early spring when I start them in pots so they're faster off the mark next season.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Gladioloi
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 19:47 »
slight variation of gladioli.  I have grown some and they are opening, so cut a few and brought home, but they are not opening out - should I put anything in the water to encourage full blooms?

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.