Getting new girls!

• 5 Replies

leddenton

Getting new girls!
« on: May 24, 2011, 21:55 »
Having lost my 3 lovely hybred chickens before they reached 3yrs old I was put off of having any more but have just been offered 2 from a friend. He bought some black rock/welsummer eggs from a breeder which he hatched under his broody hens. Does that combination sound O.K and should they be dark feathered as he said they are golden.They are 1 week old. Will go and see them nxt week but will have to wait to choose as don't want a cockerel!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Getting new girls!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 21:59 »
both blackrocks and welsummers are lovely birds so fingers crossed the off spring will be lovely too  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:22 »
Good luck with them- once a hen keeper always a hen keeper!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:35 »
Having lost my 3 lovely hybred chickens before they reached 3yrs old I was put off of having any more but have just been offered 2 from a friend. He bought some black rock/welsummer eggs from a breeder which he hatched under his broody hens. Does that combination sound O.K and should they be dark feathered as he said they are golden.They are 1 week old. Will go and see them nxt week but will have to wait to choose as don't want a cockerel!

Are they two breeds or a cross between the two breeds?

The young Black Rock cockerels I have seen have all been light in colour, there is a picture at the very bottom of this link of a Black Rock with chicks.  You can clearly see which is male and female.

http://snapdragongarden.typepad.com/snapdragons_garden/livestock/ 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 13:17 »

The young Black Rock cockerels I have seen have all been light in colour, there is a picture at the very bottom of this link of a Black Rock with chicks.  You can clearly see which is male and female.

There shouldn't be any black rock cockerals.  The breeders in Scotland cull all the boys at hatching and only sell female day olds.  They don't sell hatching eggs either for the same reason.

There are other similar looking chickens like the Bovans Nera and the Shaver blacks, the latter we have a small breeding flock of, but again all boys are culled at hatching or day old as they are auto sexing.

I know it doesn't really matter if they are black rocks or not, but for 40 odd years the black rock breeders have worked very had to produce this breed and they don't like people selling 'black rocks' that aren't!  It's one of the reasons black rocks are generally more expensive to buy. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 15:15 »

I bought my Black Rocks from a Black Rock approved agent who had some cockerels but don't know if they just got them thrown in for free to eat!   :ohmy:

There shouldn't be any black rock cockerals.  The breeders in Scotland cull all the boys at hatching and only sell female day olds.  They don't sell hatching eggs either for the same reason.

There are other similar looking chickens like the Bovans Nera and the Shaver blacks, the latter we have a small breeding flock of, but again all boys are culled at hatching or day old as they are auto sexing.

I know it doesn't really matter if they are black rocks or not, but for 40 odd years the black rock breeders have worked very had to produce this breed and they don't like people selling 'black rocks' that aren't!  It's one of the reasons black rocks are generally more expensive to buy. :)

xx
Ive got new girls.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:28
by NormandyMary
xx
Wet Girls!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:04
by Sparr0wman
xx
2 new girls

Started by violet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 09:42
by violet
sad
Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 22:27
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 37 queries.