Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???

• 10 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???
« on: October 22, 2009, 20:18 »
I know I havn't had my two girls for long, and I may not be totally up on thir habits yet, but every night both have taken themselves off to bed as it get dark and get cozy in their house. Tonight I was out so DH was shutting them in for me, anyway I get back and he tells me he hasn't shut them up cuz one wont go to bed!!

Sure enough one has gone upto the box, while the other is settled on the floor under the main nesting house.  Did manage to move her and she walked up the ramp and went to bed, but it's just unlike her  ???  She is the "leader" of the two and usually first out and leads the way in at night. She seems ok - walking ok and not hurt herself so not sure why she wouldn't go to bed?

She is about just about POL but hasn't laid as yet - could this be a sign she is ready to or could there be somthing wrong or am I just being an over protective mummy here?

Thanks guys  :wub:
Toni

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 20:21 »
She sounds fine- they all try and 'test the waters' sometimes, dont worry :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi - maybe something scared her??? More than likely she will be fine in the morning. Best to see how she is then. One of my girls I've had since March time, she's a regular layer, has hatched chicks etc etc. Usually the leader, pretty much first to bed.....anyway, the other night, the dog found her outside, under the kitchen window, hiding behind the hose trying to sleep......at around 9.30pm!!! It had been dark hours!!! I popped her in with the others, shone a torch for her to find her usual place and that was it. Really weird but as right as rain in the morning!! Hopefully will be the same for you!!  :) :)

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 20:28 »
thanks kitkat & redmolly !!! I am sure  even my kids didn't give me this much worry !!! :tongue2:  :lol:

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 20:29 »
Think we all know exactly what you mean!!!  :D :D

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 20:37 »
you should have re homed Blackie, he's a nightmare, so far he's roosted on the wall, in the bushes, on top of the banty house, everywhere except where he should be, he has 5 houses to choose from but no! he stayed out 2 nights and nearly gave me heart failure, he takes himself off the minute i stop watching him and doesn't re appear till bedtime, i'm going to have to go against my "all my birds free range and have no bounderies" and pen him up :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 20:41 »
Bad Blackie!!! The freedom has gone to his head  ::) All that space to play in and no silly ducks herding him back up (Bumble and Bee keep my lot in check) :lol:

My top girl sometimes pushes staying out of the coop and perching elsewhere, she doesnt complain when moved though. I suspect she's testing who's boss  :)

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 20:49 »
lol!! when DH told me,  I went straight out (in my smart office trousers & heels) dived on my knees going "come on baby" to a chicken :lol:  If she's just playing...well....  :tongue2: :lol:

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 21:13 »
:D Francais, as redmolly said I think we can all relate to the worry our girls can cause us  :) You're not an over protective mummy but are just experiencing the normal concern (and so much love) these adorable creatures inspire in us.

I hope your girlie is OK, maybe she's had a little scare and she'll settle down.

Jan.x

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 21:19 »
Bad Blackie!!! The freedom has gone to his head  ::) All that space to play in and no silly ducks herding him back up (Bumble and Bee keep my lot in check) :lol:

My top girl sometimes pushes staying out of the coop and perching elsewhere, she doesnt complain when moved though. I suspect she's testing who's boss  :)

i want to know where he thinks he's going, he sets off so purposely it's like he's on a mission, he goes in a different direction every day, twice on Blackie alert Sam's had to retrieve him in the landrover (the first time i thought we were looking at a crow "i'm not walking all that way for a crow to fly off the minute i get close" it was Blackie, on the other side of the lake in a 15 acre field...................................

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 22:27 »
Chickens are as mad as a box of frogs!!!!  There is always one who won't play the game and usually when it is raining, muddy, blowing a gale or when you are dressed up ready to go out.  Think its thier sick secse of humour lol.
mrs.ploppy

xx
First wet day for the girls, will they keep dry or just get wet?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 12:53
by Ribbit
xx
Anything in Here The Girls Cant Eat?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 22:42
by devonbarmygardener
xx
New girls

Started by ganner on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 10:06
by joyfull
xx
At last I have my girls

Started by niccijarvis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 14:00
by Porffor

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 37 queries.