Blueberry Bed

• 6 Replies

Rocinante

• I am not paranoid but I know you think I am.
Blueberry Bed
« on: July 03, 2019, 06:17 »
Hi all, I’m going to prepare a Bed for Blueberries, it’s grass now and I’m going to cover with a weed suppression material and was going to spread some home compost under the cover. I know they like acid conditions so how is the best organic way to do it.
Regards
Regards,
Roccinante

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Blueberry Bed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 06:58 »
Pine/leylandii needles/bark/wood, citrus peel/pulp, onion/leek trimmings would all make the soil more acidic.  You could start a seperate compost pile for this type of waste. 
There's always too much leylandii in the world, if you could find a local,friendly arborist with a shredder they could give you some great chippings to make a mulch.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 08:30 »
Firstly, you need to find out what the pH of the soil is before you start trying to get it down to around 4.5-5;  chemical pH testing kits are cheap and much more reliable than most electronic test meters available.

If your soil is very chalky you will have your work cut out trying to lower the pH, and would probably be better off lining the planting hole with perforated plastic sheeting and filling with ericaceous compost.

If the soil is already around neutral or slightly acidic you can temporarily lower pH by using diluted vinegar, but a more long lasting fix involves mixing in sulphur chips to the top 6" of soil - soil bacteria slowly convert the sulphur into sulphuric acid which lowers the pH (I think this could reasonably be argued to be an organic approach, although I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me!  :unsure:)
Sphagnum peat moss is another good acidifier, but you might not want to choose that for environmental reasons.

Incorporating or mulching with acid-forming materials like pine needles can help, but it's worth remembering that nearly all fully composted materials finish up around neutral pH, so you will need to keep monitoring the soil pH levels to ensure you are doing enough.

If feeding, use ericaceous feeds, and use rain water rather than tap water (especially if your tap water is hard.)

Finally, don't obsess too much about getting the pH exactly right - last time I checked mine it was only just below 6, but my 3 bushes still crop well.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Rocinante

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:04 »
Thank you both, I’ve an idea of what to do now. It’s going to be an on going thing then.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 19:35 »
Thank you both, I’ve an idea of what to do now. It’s going to be an on going thing then.

yes it probably will be. I add sulphur chips to the top layer of soil through the planting holes I made in the membrane when I first put the bushes in about 7 years ago, and feed them with Blood, Fish & Bone early each Spring. They crop fairly well, although I find I have to cover them with bird proof netting or all the fruit gets eaten the moment it has the faintest purplish blush on it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 20:53 »
A blueberry bed sounds wonderful if you have the space..

We grow three plants in large round tubs against a south facing wall and they get a bit of tender-loving-fussing early each spring as well as a scarf of fleece to keep the frost off.

For the last few years we have had a wonderful return from them... blueberry jam, muffins, fresh with cream, into newly baked bread at the last minute, pies.. really have been worth the space and the effort of keeping them well watered.

I think the 6foot wall behind them helps them.. or maybe that's my imagination but they look happy.
(The local blackbirds are even allowed a small share :) )
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Rocinante

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 21:47 »
I’m sure it’s worth all the work that goes into them, our winters get spiteful for a few weeks each year so that’s something to watch out for.

question
BLUEBERRY

Started by Miss Molly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 00:42
by Yorkie
xx
Blueberry help

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 13:03
by Vit
clip
my blueberry

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2023, 18:11
by pepsi100
xx
Blueberry

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 46 queries.