Shallot questions

• 7 Replies

JohnB47

Shallot questions
« on: June 08, 2010, 16:04 »
This is my first time growing shallots. They're looking good but I'm wondering:

1. When to lift them - do they flop over like onions to indicate that they'e ready?

2. Do they store well once you've lifted them?

3. I planted mine on 14th Feb (Golden Gourmet) and 20th March (Jermor). Can you plant these as over-wintering crop? If so, are there special varieties for this and is there any point in growing them over winter?

Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Shallot questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 16:58 »
This is my first time growing shallots. They're looking good but I'm wondering:

1. When to lift them - do they flop over like onions to indicate that they'e ready?

Yes, and can then be eased out of the ground for a few days prior to lifting and drying.

2. Do they store well once you've lifted them?

They vary, Golden Gourmet store well; I've not grown Jermor but sometimes what the sellers don't claim is as important as what they do!. They don't seem to make great claims for the storage life of Jermor but that doesn't mean they won't keep for a reasonably long time.

Like onions, any with thick necks compared to the others will not dry properly and therefore should be eaten first.

I still have some Vigarmor and Golden globe left from last year; can't say they're in perfect condition but still usable!

3. I planted mine on 14th Feb (Golden Gourmet) and 20th March (Jermor). Can you plant these as over-wintering crop? If so, are there special varieties for this and is there any point in growing them over winter?

Don't know, not tried but don't really see the advantage as they grow perfectly well planted in early spring.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 17:58 »
Thanks JayG. Perfect answer.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:04 »
Jermor is a lovely shallot. They grow quite big and store for absolutely ages. I grow them myself and have recommended them to others who are now fans.  I love shallots and they are easier than onions and don't seem to rot  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07 »
Jermor is a lovely shallot. They grow quite big and store for absolutely ages. I grow them myself and have recommended them to others who are now fans.  I love shallots and they are easier than onions and don't seem to rot  :)

Oooh I can't wait now. I wonder when they'll be ready?

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 11:11 »
I'll just have a look back at my notes for you

BRB  :D

I should be doing the books at the moment  :tongue2:  :D

I am still eating last years by the way and have some on the side at the moment ready to use. I keep them in the shed

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:26 »
Last year my notes were poor as I moved house but I did note on 19th Sept that I had a shed full of shallots  :D

So, I looked back to the year before and I wrote

"dug up the shallots Jermor and they're huge and healthy"  :D

I store mine in my lotty shed and I put them in wire baskets (old things from some long closed down supermarket  :)) and some metal wire trays, which seem perfect for storing alliums. I've got some plastic baskets which stack but leave plenty of air space between They're plastic jobs from the greengrocer.  It's worth the effort to store them properly and then they'll last and last.  I grew loads last year and I'm still eating them  :)  Got some Golden Gourmet too - not many though. Possibly enough for another casserole

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 13:23 »
Thanks for the good advice.

Really looking forward to harvest time now.

Cheers.

xx
Shallot questions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 20:41
by oldgrunge
xx
re: two allium questions (and that's shallot... :-) )

Started by rhythmvick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 09:20
by rhythmvick
xx
Chitting potatoes and shallot questions ?

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 07:47
by DD.
xx
Shallot’s

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 20:34
by adal

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 39 queries.