Asparagus Beetle Problem

• 3 Replies

vjt

Asparagus Beetle Problem
« on: May 24, 2010, 16:18 »
I have a well established Asparagus Bed on my Allotment, this year I am troubled by the asparagus beetle, never had a trouble before, I clean the bed throughly during the dormant season - someone suggested I burn the dead stalks at this time?
I want to get rid of them now + any eggs, someone has suggested I  plant tomatoes in the bed as they do not like the smell?
I've also tried catching the and drowning them in soapy water, but there as so many of the multiplying little critters , please HELP. vjt

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus Beetle Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 19:34 »
welcome to the site  :D

I don't know the specific answer to your question but i would probably avoid planting tomatoes in the bed as I don't think asparagus like root disturbance - which is what would happen when you plant and then uproot the tomatoes at the start and end of the season.

If you click the search button near the top of the page, and enter 'asparagus beetle' that will bring up a list of threads discussing the beetle (including this one!) - try looking at some of those to see whether any are of assistance.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 19:47 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vjt

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 20:31 »
Thanks for that Yorkie, I've been catching the little 'critters' and drowning them in soapy water (naughty me)1 Appreciate your comment that is why I have left the tomatoe plants in the pots, probably too high for them to catch the smell, but worth a try?
Thanks again. vjt

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 21:29 »
Little b*****ers hit me too!
I put double sided sellotape onto a lolly stick and used it to catch and squish the little devils. Numbers are gradually reducing!!

Good luck

HH
Keep digging

xx
Asparagus beetle

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 18:51
by Yorkie
xx
Asparagus beetle

Started by flyguy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 10:21
by flyguy
xx
asparagus beetle

Started by waxwing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 21:48
by waxwing
question
Asparagus Beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:48
by Salmo

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 38 queries.