Electric propogator

• 4 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Electric propogator
« on: December 31, 2018, 18:20 »
Hi chaps, I did a search but ... anyway, I have a heated propogator, when do I fire it up and what are the best things to put in it, seed-tray wise and veg-wise ... really this is a big subject and there's probably an existing thread if someone can point me in the right direction please .... happy new year xxx roger

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric propogator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:45 »
I have a windowsill shaped one I use for some things sown in small pots or seed trays, but the main thing to consider is what you do with those seedlings once they are up.

For slowing growing stuff like sweet peppers, chili peppers and aubergines, I usually fire mine up at the end of January.  For tomatoes, which grow pretty fast, I wait until March, then only use it if it is still very cold.  It can offer a more steady guaranteed germination rate, which can be important given the price of some seeds.

Squash, courgettes and cucumbers, I usually sow in April.  They grow like triffids so no benefit to me to sow early.

All of this is due to the fact that I grow on windowsills inside, then out to an unheated greenhouse. If you have a different set-up, its worth asking questions before you sow.  If you post asking about peppers say, then explain what you are planning, its pretty certain someone will be in the same boat and will be able to help  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:15 »
I agree with New Shoot's post.  Every year, we're all really keen to get going but you need to know what you're going to do with the plants once they're germinated. 

I've never had an unheated greenhouse, and up here we can't really plant out frost-tender plants such as beans, courgettes, tomatoes etc until the start of June.  Plants can go very leggy if you start them off too early, when the light isn't really strong enough.  If you also don't have a greenhouse, it's better to wait a little longer until you know you'll have stronger plants on your windowsills that don't have to hang around too long before being hardened off and then planted out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 13:21 »
I also have a windowsill shaped propagator and it is excellent! I have the luxury of  a frost free greenhouse too, but frost free does not mean warm enough for tender crops like chillies or tomatoes to thrive, so I still to the same timing as New Shoot

A note of warning.... those seedlings grow into plants that need space around them, so try to resist sowing the whole packet of seed " in case some don't come up" especially of crops like courgettes and squashes... they pretty much all come up  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 13:28 »
Thanks for knowledgable advice everyone, I'll reaily need to give some more thought, I'm on the S Coast and the weather's so good that my fingers are itching to get on with it, must learn some patience ...

xx
Electric propogator advice

Started by mashauk on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2019, 06:56
by lowermeadow
xx
Electric propagators

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2023, 07:11
by jezza
xx
Electric Tiller

Started by Caretaker on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 17:07
by fatcat1955
thumbup
Electric chainsaw

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 20:16
by greenjay

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 44 queries.