I have been given a piece of land..... How do I start (or where :)

• 5 Replies
Hi Guys
I have just been given a piece of land to grow anything I want on, but the thing is it is covered in grass so I really do need to start from scratch... Anyone got any good advice???? Anything???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move your post over to Grow Your Own as that's what it's about  ;)  Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum to introduce yourself though if you want

If you click on the Growing Help link immediately below the top banner on the page, you'll scroll down to some allotment articles, including ones on clearing and planning the plot.

For more specific advice it would help to know the size of your land, what you want to grow, etc
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daisy1990

preparing the land can be back breaking but every minute you spend will pay dividends later.  The better your soil is prepared the better your crops will be.  Now is the time to start preparing as not much can be planted yet so you should make the most of it.  I would start small and no matter how big the plot is just dig enough over for the amount you need/or can manage.  If you overface yourself you can be put off altogether.  If you put more details on here I am sure lots of people will give you help
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Dominic

How big is it?
Can you really grow anything on it?
Is there a tap?
How far away is it?
How often can you get to it?
And where abouts are you?

The key thing would be, Dont bite off more than you do.
Its pointless trying to prepare an acre with a spade.  The first bit will have gone back to grass before your half way done.

My advice is usualy dont bother with potatos, grow soft fruit, and if your allowed, hard fruit.
Blackcurrants and Cherries are expensive, carrots and swede are not.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Dominic

Obviously, your gebneral area ios Jersey.
Doh :blush:

rozalia

I worked on my piece of land over a 3 year period. Yr 1 I cleared 1/3 and planted veg.  The other 2/3 I covered with black plastic and cardboard.  Yr 2 I worked the second 1/3 and today I've cleared and dug over the final 1/3.  Enjoy your plot and start eating your home grown veg!

xx
My Little Piece of Heaven!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 09:41
by Glen
xx
When to water piece of kit.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2024, 12:48
by bobbyt
xx
Our little piece of 'heaven'.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 17:41
by weeeed
xx
New piece of ground but do i need manure?

Started by Natalie Patch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 18:05
by Trillium

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 31 queries.