Our little piece of 'heaven'.

• 8 Replies

Pompey Spud

« on: April 29, 2008, 12:07 »
Hi All

I never thought I'd get so much enjoyment from our 5 rods. It's funny how you keep in touch with the weather so much & how you relate it to your plot straight away.

I now want a bigger plot. My wife/kids love going to our plot to work. Conversations around the dinner table always include our patch.

Without getting too deep because it's supposed to be fun but having a plot is a cure for many social issues. If any parties want to include it in their manifestos, they have my vote.

Plus this site is so good. 8)

Anyway, here's some pics after all the work we did on Saturday.

PUP

[/IMG][/IMG]
Top tip for camping....don't go.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Hi Pompey!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53 »
I have five rods too and enjoying it,! Everyday problems seems to melt away when we are on our allotment.
I have had mine for about a month now! I am new to growing veg on a bigger scale but I have grown vegetables in containers at home. In my ignorance I am having to read up on growing so I am happy spending much of the time clearing and tidying up the plot. I have started some veg indoors for the allotment. Everyone here keeps saying that I will run out of space and will want a bigger plot one day but I am finding it hard to believe that that day will come!! I am sure I will make mistakes but thats all part of it !

Good luck with yours ~good picutures by the way

Jazzbyrd :D
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 16:12 »
this is my second year with 5 rod and its full  :lol:
the proplem is thear is no way on earth I wood give it up for a biger plot somewhear else and the 5 rod next to mine belongs to my dad and thats full too
so now we have a new game wot can we fit in where :lol:

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 16:32 »
Looking good, how much healthier that is than children in front of a television or computer. When they get to eat the results of their hard work that will be the icing on the cake :D

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 16:46 »
How big is 5 rods  :?:  My plot is approximately 8 metres wide and 25 metres long...

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 17:00 »
A rod is the length of a stick that you use to whip the oxen if you are driving an ox cart.
Hope that clears it up......

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 17:14 »
Quote from: "nipper31"
How big is 5 rods  :?:  My plot is approximately 8 metres wide and 25 metres long...

A rod is ~ 5 meters , so your plot sounds a bit wider than average 5 rod plot
Steve

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 17:30 »
Sit quitely and read this. Questions will be asked!

Medieval ploughing was done with oxen, up to 4 pairs at a time. The ploughman handled the plough. His boy controlled the oxen using a stick, which had to be long enough to reach all the oxen. This was the rod, pole or perch. It was an obvious implement to measure the fields, such as 4 poles to the chain. A BBC webpage about allotments (not tried to find which one) says that "an allotment plot is 10 poles" and claims that "A pole is measured as the length from the back of the plough to the nose of the ox". I suppose that if you wanted to control the front ox, you needed a pole long enough to reach! The perch was used in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189), the pole since the 16C, and the rod since 1450. In the 16th century the lawful rod was decreed to be the combined length of the left feet of 16 men as they left church on a Sunday morning (I like this one but why not their right feet?). An earlier name for a rod was a gyrd. In North Devon there is a tradition that fencing, that is to say the cutting and laying of a hedge, would be done at so much a land yard, which seemed to be about 5 paces or 5.5 yards, which would equate to a rod, pole or perch.

Right got that! :?  :lol:

weeeed

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 17:41 »
Oh my goodness!   Please sir may I be excused the test on the grounds that my short term memory isn't just failing it has up and left me!!!! Anyway may I say what a good job you are doing on your plot and you and your children will all benefit from being outside in the fresh air and eating the freshest food it is possible to have. Enjoy, we all do on here. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

xx
My Little Piece of Heaven!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 09:41
by Glen
xx
march heaven

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 15:04
by viettaclark
xx
Seed heaven

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 20:58
by LilacSandy
xx
When to water piece of kit.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2024, 12:48
by bobbyt

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.