Hen friendships

• 3 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Hen friendships
« on: August 08, 2013, 23:27 »
I was musing to myself today while drinking a cuppa and watching the girls potter about in the garden, (seem to be spending far too much time doing that lately), about the way they form friendships. My tiny bantam RIR, who's about the size of a wood pidgeon, and is also the most mischievous and friendly, has become best buddies with one of the biggest and most timid of all the other hens. They look such an odd pair wandering around together, but they obviously have a special relationship. Has anyone else noticed this with their hens?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Hen friendships
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:57 »
Only three here and never far apart but what I want to say is...  how fortunate we are that we have this sublime pleasure of a cup of tea and watching hens.  Nothing like it.

I sit on my kitchen floor each morning with the sun shining in and they hop on and off my legs exploring food possibilities before they flop down for a groom/sunbathe.   :D
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 20:41 »
I like it when one of mine realises when they are alone and calls out for the others.

barley

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 23:21 »
I have a little seabright bantam called feather - she was inseparable from barley a gold seabright
but sadly we lost barley to a buzzard attack
it was pitiful to see feather without her side kick - I swear she  grieved at the loss of her friend  :(

I am happy to say 2 years on from the awful attack she now has new friends and is her old self again

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 32 queries.