Do you remove all male cucumber flowers

• 9 Replies

honeymelon

Do you remove all male cucumber flowers
« on: May 31, 2017, 22:34 »
I am growing the Marketmore76 outdoor cucumber first time this year and I was told by a friend to remove all the male flowers and cucumber can be pollinated by the male flowers of courgette or squash. shall I or shall I not to remove the male flower? Please advice. Thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Do you remove all male cucumber flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:22 »
No. Outdoor (ridge) ones need to be pollinated, whereas indoor ones do not. That's why it's a bad idea to grow ridge ones in a greenhouse alongside other types.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:58 »
Also, although courgettes and squashes can (and do!) cross-pollinate with each other they can't pollinate cucumbers (same family, but different species.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:23 »
No. Outdoor (ridge) ones need to be pollinated, whereas indoor ones do not. That's why it's a bad idea to grow ridge ones in a greenhouse alongside other types.

And I have realised this morning that the Chinese Slangan plant I was planning to put in the tunnel with the Three Divas (seemed an appropriate number somehow lol) has male flowers on it already..... quickly searching for somewhere outside to plant this now!!!!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 21:49 »
Too late now, but a bought Telegraph planted as a last resort (now with four lady chums - lucky chap), is too big to move, so the GH door stays open, hoping for a bee or three will pop in for a shuftie...

Funny year for cuces. Not a problem though, we all keep learning!

honeymelon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 16:14 »
OK thanks for the reply and I will keep the male flowers then. I just heard that male flowers can make cucumbers bitter. That is new thing I have learned, I did taste some bitter cucumber before and it was horrible.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 16:20 »
Too late now, but a bought Telegraph planted as a last resort (now with four lady chums - lucky chap), is too big to move, so the GH door stays open, hoping for a bee or three will pop in for a shuftie...

Funny year for cuces. Not a problem though, we all keep learning!

My Telegraph is in splendid isolation in the greenhouse at home... if last's year's experience is anything to go by, plenty of bees come a-buzzing 😀

honeymelon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 16:21 »
Also, although courgettes and squashes can (and do!) cross-pollinate with each other they can't pollinate cucumbers (same family, but different species.)
Interesting , I do grow 2 different type of squash, one is the Japanese squash and the other is crown prince, so they can be cross-pollinated then?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 16:25 »
Interesting , I do grow 2 different type of squash, one is the Japanese squash and the other is crown prince, so they can be cross-pollinated then?

Yes they can. However, the fruit you get is unaffected, it is the seeds that then will not "Come true" next year and grow some sort of mongrel fruits

honeymelon

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 22:45 »

Yes they can. However, the fruit you get is unaffected, it is the seeds that then will not "Come true" next year and grow some sort of mongrel fruits
I haven't thought about the seeds, but I am not collecting seeds so no worries

xx
Male cucumber flowers.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 09:45
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Help with male cucumber flowers

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:35
by DD.
xx
Cucumber Flowers Male or Female

Started by sodaspop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 11:25
by mumofstig
xx
only male flowers

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 22:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 39 queries.