Growing a melon

• 19 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Growing a melon
« on: February 14, 2015, 15:38 »
I'm thinking of growing a melon in my greenhouse ( when it is assembled). Is there any particular type that I should choose and are they difficult to grow?

Many thanks,
Mel

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing a melon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 16:13 »
I'm thinking of growing a melon in my greenhouse ( when it is assembled). Is there any particular type that I should choose
can't recommend one as haven't grown one successfully
and are they difficult to grow?
see above  ::)
It might just be me  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:32 »
I've grown loads of poncy F1 varieties over the years, most of them have been a disappointment. The one that has done well, and I keep coming back to, is Sweetheart.  It makes lots of growth easily, unlike its Poncy cousins, and quite often pollinates without me having to do it for it (but obviously better to hand pollinate if you have the time)

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:23 »
Thanks for the replies :)

I shall have a look and see which type I like the look of and try that, as usual with these things "trial and error"

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:41 »
Two threads which include my experience of growing Sweetheart Melons - in summary, the first year was easy, the next year they conked out before they'd even flowered, even though on the face of it the conditions were the same (or at least as much as they can be from one year to the next.)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/growing-in-greenhouses-and-polytunnels/53/anyone-else-growing-sweetheart-melon/80569/msg902384#msg902384

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/growing-in-greenhouses-and-polytunnels/53/big-melons/103496/msg1158493#msg1158493

Since then I've concentrated on mastering growing greenhouse cucumbers instead, which I finally achieved last year. The 'secret' was to give them more protection from the sun, but I couldn't say one way or the other whether that would apply to melons too.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 12:50 »
When I neglected my melons, I got two decent sized ones.  Last year, I nutured and fed them and got nothing apart from a lot of growth and flowers but no melons.  I am going to,give them one moe chance this year and then that's it!

MrsPea

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 18:46 »
I grew Melons in the greenhouse last year and they were brilliant try Emir F1, just have 2 or 3 to a plant they need lots of water so grow them in something big, good luck.
I Love my green house

MrsPea

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 18:51 »
This is what they were like last year  :)

Melon,Emir F1 (2).JPG

stompy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48 »
I have grown melons in years past and did very well.
I grew Sweetheart F1 which never failed and also Ogen which is nicer but harder to grow.
I grew mine in a bottomless pot on a growbag in a growbag tray, if you space them correctly you can get 4 6" pots set into it.
That hardest part is getting the watering correct, i did this by filling the growbag tray every 2 days and with feed once a week, too much feed and you get way too much green growth and no fruit.
Once the plant has 6 to 8 side shoots pinch out the growing tip and the side shoots will then start throw shoots out them selves, this is where your flowers/fruit will grow from.
I found that at this point stressing the plant a little helps female flowers to develop, stress it by not watering as normal until the plant begins to show signs of wilting then water as previous but always from the bottom in the tray.
Once you have a melon that's pollinated and growing pinch out the tip 1 or 2 leaves after the melon and grow on.
I have never failed to produce good and plentiful melons when i grow them and this is how i do it.
This is just my way and others will have their way but this works for me.
Good luck
Andy

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 12:21 »
Thanks for the replies!
It looks lie Sweetheart is the one then!
When do I sow the seeds?

Regards,
Mel.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 18:12 »
It looks lie Sweetheart is the one then!

ASAP! (Next year "even earlier" :) ) They take a while to get going, and need a reasonably long season to make some good fruit.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 18:43 »
Tried and failed. May have another go next year if you all manage

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 19:08 »
I like melons.
Difficult to keep happy though, I've found.

Managed a tennis ball sized one last year. Tasted good but not big enough to satisfy,

I've got one on the go now, about 2 inches high with a couple of leaves... looks quite strong and has just been potted on to a bigger pot - if this one doesn't get anywhere then they are off my list...

Pip pip,
Balders

grinling

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 20:27 »
bought seeds in Aldi. you can either train like cucumbers or allow to spread on floor like pumpkins. Treat like squashes  2 melons per plant.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33 »
Treat like squashes  2 melons per plant.

I get at least 4 off mine ... :)

clip
Growing Melon

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2019, 18:46
by TonyB.
xx
Anyone else growing Sweetheart melon?

Started by JayG on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

30 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 10:35
by JayG
xx
Melon Growing - Should I be worried?

Started by MichelleC on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 21:25
by Trillium
xx
best melon

Started by brookegard on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 10:23
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 40 queries.