Onions

• 13 Replies

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Onions
« on: November 22, 2011, 23:31 »
I have just read k!tchen g@rden magazine December issue and there is a small piece on onions. 

It suggests planting sets close together to produce quick spring onions, thinning and leave the rest to mature.  The idea of harvesting salad onions appeals, while waiting for main crop.

The method describes to plant bulbs in containers / tubs so they are barely touching and harvest as required (from 4 weeks after planting).  From the photo in the magazine it looks like there are at least 100+ sets in the pot (trug size maybe).

Has anybody tried this? Or, do you think it's worth a try?

Would appreciate your thoughts - I've never tried growing from seed, so the cost of sets would be a factor

Trillium

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:21 »
This will definitely work, but if left in the trug sized container few would grow to any large size later. They need at least 6" clear space in all directions - each. Their roots demand the space if you expect them to size up considerably as they are hungry feeders.

For salad onions you'd get a regular crop, but if you want larger storage onions, grow them with proper spacing elsewhere.

Forgot to mention seeds: they're very easy to grow. Choose your variety and start them around Christmas time indoors and they'll be a nice bulb size for planting out in spring.

shoozie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:43 »
Thanks for that reassurance and advice Trillium.  I think I'll give this a try purely as salad onions as you say, with main crop also in a traditional bed.  Having never tried onions from seed, I'll give this a go first, otherwise it seems a bit of a luxury to use bought sets for this.  Inspired me to try my first onion growing from seed.

Thanks again  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:49 by shoozie »

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 17:40 »
I would wonder about the economics of paying for sets to grow as spring onions rather than buying seed for spring onions ?
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 19:37 »
I got thinking some more about this and remember one of Geoff Hamilton's shows, Ornamental Kitchen Garden, I believe, where he direct seeded about 4-5 seeds per small pot and left them to grow until about march, when he simply popped the whole pot contents into one spot to grow small salad onions. He had numerous plantings around his flower gardens so that he could have regular salad onions rather than take up valuable garden spacings.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 20:25 »
Ooh I like that idea Trillium.  Gives me an idea to escape from family on the special day in late December!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 20:26 »
If you get a few more seeds in each module, you end up with a bunch of spring onions of about the size you could buy --- plenty for salads and adding to mashed potato too  :D, all for virtually nothing  8)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shoozie

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 21:16 »
Thanks everyone for all the advice and ideas and I am definitely going to give this a go. 

Trillium, I tried a Internet search for Geoff Hamilton's technique, but am not finding anything, so will see if the library has a copy of his book and read some more.  Sorry if this seems a daft question, but what size were the pots he used - 3-4 inches or so?

I've definitely got various spots in sunny (hopefully :) ) positions.  Also, there's a couple of bits in the square foot plot I could use, and a plastic trug - so, some options for space.  I really like the idea of catch crop between spaces, I'll need to improve the soil in the flower bed as its fairly clumpy clay - this could be the incentive to get this long over due job done.

All I need to do is read up on how to grow from seed, and choose a seed that might suit

DigIt - I agree buying sets wouldn't be economic - I've just never tried from seed

Thanks everyone - much appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 22:19 by shoozie »

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 23:26 »
Instead of pots, I tried using a tray of approx 25mm cells (40 in all, I think) and put 4/5 seeds in a cell this year and had great success, I got some nice bunches as Sunshineband mentions

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 23:27 »
Not the best of photos but gives you the idea I hope.
_DSC0857.jpg
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 23:32 by DigIt »

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:27 »
Shoozie, I can't quite remember the size of pots, but he just might have started them off in modules. I recall that he was in his little multi-sided greenhouse on a cool fall day (video) when he started them.

Once they start growing a bit, you can pot each module into 3" pots, then later plant those out.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24 »
You can also grow bulb onions like this. Sow 5/6 seeds per module. Plant out the modules at about 12 inches apart. Thin each module to 3 using the thinnings as spring onions. Resulting bulbs a good size for the kitchen.

The advantage of using sets is that you produce spring onions very early. If you planted some now in the greenhouse they would be ready in weeks.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:38 »
Hi shoozie
I've been doing this for a number of years but use shallot sets to get early spring onions.
Each one gives you a bunch of spring onions when taken early. 

shoozie

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 18:44 »
Thank you everyone for taking time to share your tips, experience and photos.  This has been very informative and helpful - much appreciated.  I'll start having a look at seeds at the weekend.  Thanks again for giving your time to point me in the right direction   :)

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 35 queries.