New allotment

• 2 Replies

captainb

New allotment
« on: June 06, 2013, 21:45 »
Hi all,
I've taken on a disused allotment its never really been worked its covered on couch grass which I'm slowly digging out of my heavy clay soil.
My plan was clear the plot, dig out roots, dig in compost (about 3 tons has now been dropped off) I only seem to have about a spade and half depth of soil then hit yellow clay. Hopefully this will improve drainage . I need to build paths and beds put in a shed, greenhouse. I also want to add some manure and maybe grow some green manure over winter, then come spring have an allotment ready to go.

I'm now doubting my plan and some are saying don't dig in compost just spread on top and wait until Autum for muck spreading.
Any advice gratefully received.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: New allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08 »
I would say there is nothing inherently wrong with your plan, but it depends what you want to do. At this time of year, there are a number of things you can still sow direct so you may want to make some beds and sow beans, beetroot etc. while you work on the rest of the plot.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
Re: New allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55 »
one idea is to put a small wooden border around your plot say about 10cms or 15 cms tall and then bun in teh amnure , this will let u get 10cms above the rest of the area around u and increase the depth of your plot....

xx
This is my allotment!

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 16:03
by Jeanieblue
xx
new allotment

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:50
by Porffor
xx
No Dig Allotment

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 10:37
by Mr Dog
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 28 queries.