a bit of chicken advice

• 8 Replies

boosmummy

a bit of chicken advice
« on: February 04, 2012, 15:26 »
im feeling a bit down a the moment - to be honest though, its the time of the year and its so cold.  I've not been down to my allotment for months because well its not established enough there's nothing there so there no need to go, but also the path to the plot has been so waterlogged that I have come to the following decision.

I was going to get some chickens this spring down on the plot but after this winter and the waterlogging and the terrible winters im wondering how feasible it would be, so i decided against it at least until the drainage is sorted and we'll only know how good that is next winter

There are people down on the allotments who have chickens and they manage fine, granted its blooming freezing but equally they have established allotments with sheds etc....

If im honest, im a bit gutted because i was so looking forward to getting the chickens ive been excited all year. 

So, the point of the post is, those with chickens on allotments and not at home how often do you go down to the allotment to them?? Ideally i would go every day to them but if the path and the ice etc.. is that much of a problem, can they be left longer than going to see them once a day.  My house and my tenancy agreement doenst allow me to bring them home and to be honest the dog would probably get them.

I was planning on constructing a good pen for them so even though their little house will be open all the time they will be contained in a big pen - if that makes sense, would that be suitable for them if im not going down there everyday.

I think what im trying to ask is; how many times a week do you go to visit your chucks?  Am I being a bit selfish with all of the above.  How do you all cope with the weather and the chucks?

xx

BAtoo

Re: a bit of chicken advice
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 18:21 »
The Welfare of Animals Act says they must be inspected them every day.....

boosmummy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 19:02 »

grand, that's the decision made then :( thank you for your advice xx

BAtoo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 19:39 »

grand, that's the decision made then :( thank you for your advice xx

Could be inspected by a (competent) friend if that helps, minimum once every 24 hrs.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 21:18 »
When the girls were at the allotment I could take the day or 2 off in good weather, providing the had lots to eat and drink. I never locked them up and they had an enclosed run as well as access to larger outdoor area. I lived 15 minutes walk away.
In winter though whenever there was a frost, I would be down early carrying water. I would use a blue tool holder as I could bash that with a hammer. I would also have a bowl of porridge.
Invest in warm winter waterproof boots and a good coat, walking to my plot was downhill and across boggy land.  :D

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46 »
Most people will check their chooks twice a day. Mine are not at home and I do check twice a day. In winter they could not be left when it is very cold as their water would freeze and, therefore, not available to them. Maybe you could have a rota with some of the others that have chickens. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 22:05 »
I would feed another lady's chooks when I went down as mine were padlocked up. I have found with this snow that the polytunnel is keeping it's heat and the water is fine. Still checked on though.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:09 »
I visit mine twice a day during the week, once in the morning to let them out and make sure they have enough food and water, then again at night to shut them in. If I was confident about my run being totally predator proof I could probably skip the evening visit, but to be honest it's on my way home from work and not that much hassle, though yes the paths get muddy. At the weekends they get a few extra visits too. I enjoy being there, they are entertaining to watch and I usually come away with an egg or two now, so although at times it's a bit of a trial, I don't mind it too much.

boosmummy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:28 »
Thanks everyone for your advice, i think the best thing to do for now is leave off getting the chucks get  the allotment up and running and then decide later on what to do.  Im hoping to have the allotment for a good few years there's no need to get them right away :)

xx
Chicken run advice please :)

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 12:21
by poultrygeist
xx
New Chicken Advice

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 11:22
by Fisherman
xx
Help please chicken advice

Started by Terryheli on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 14:33
by Terryheli
xx
Chicken run advice please :)

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 20:38
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.