poorly chicken

• 4 Replies

French gardener

poorly chicken
« on: February 16, 2011, 17:29 »
Hello,

Can anyone help me with my poorly chicken Betty.  She has been off colour now for 2 weeks, somedays she been so weak she hasn't been able to move.  She started going off her food, then started to eat a little again but just wanted to stay in her little hen house and shut her eyes and plump her feathers.  I have tired worming her, putting vinegar in her water.  I give her soft food like rice and soft bread as she won't eat pellets anymore.  Today I found a strange thing in her little hen house in the straw, at first I thought it was a mushroom, but when I picked it up it was like a small kidney but all cream in colour,   Does anyone know what this could be?. 

Pol

• Pauline
Re: poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 17:41 »
Hi,
not sure what it could be, how old is she? has she been laying? is the thing you found  hard or soft?  could it be a small egg?
can you take a picture and put it on here so we all can have a look
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 17:46 »
Hi
How old is your chicken? From your description it sounds like a lash which is a lump of tissue from the hen's reproductive tract. This generally means that the bird has come to the end of its egg laying life. They can go off colour including moulting at this point in life which could explain you bird looking poorly for a couple of weeks.

French gardener

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 19:18 »
Thank you Fisherman, I have just looked on Google and seen a picture of a *Lash*.  Yes it was this.  Someone described it as cod roe which might better fit the picture.   Betty my chicken has not been laying for months, but she isn't moulting.  She's so thin now I am not sure what to do, somedays she eats other days she stays in her little hen house and just sits watching the other chickens in the garden.  Do you think now she has lost this lash she will pick up and feel better?.  She used to be a very happy greedy chicken.

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 22:25 »
HI FG
I think she stands a good chance of perking up now but I would keep a close eye on her. Perhaps try feeding her with some additional protein like tinned Tuna (in spring water not olive oil).
Hope all goes well.

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by dink on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 20:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
HELP please...poorly chicken

Started by SarahCarter on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 14:06
by Vember
xx
poorly chicken

Started by beamer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 18:37
by Jeanette
xx
Poorly Chicken ~ Please Help!

Started by Richardm on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:49
by Selkie

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.