Victoria Plums and fruit in general

• 4 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Victoria Plums and fruit in general
« on: September 08, 2011, 20:34 »
I've a thirty year old plum tree. It's barely ever failed to produce a good crop but this year is unbelievable. Four branches have nearly torn away with the weight of fruit. We'll never be able to give it all away and certainly will only use about a tenth of the crop, which I estimate at 100kg. I suspect the hot April created far more blossom than usual and the wet summer just suited the fruit down to the ground. I also broke with tradition and mulched the tree (and four apple trees as well) with a few dozen barrow-loads of horse muck last winter. I'd been warned not to do this as the standard wisdom round here is that too much feed produces growth at the expense of fruit. Judging by the apples as well, this standard wisdom is a load of old rope

Nikkithefoot

Re: Victoria Plums and fruit in general
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 20:39 »
This year has been a phenomenal year for English fruit all round as far as I know.

My own semi dwarf plum tree has produced well over 50lbs of fruit, normally I'm lucky if I get enough to make half a dozen jars of jam. This year its chutney, jam and wine from the tree.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 20:57 »
I also broke with tradition and mulched the tree (and four apple trees as well) with a few dozen barrow-loads of horse muck last winter. I'd been warned not to do this as the standard wisdom round here is that too much feed produces growth at the expense of fruit. Judging by the apples as well, this standard wisdom is a load of old rope

Alan,OH did the same. ::)
 He put 100 barrow loads of rotted cattle muck on my veg garden and got carried away and did the orchard as well :D

When i said we didn't muck the fruit trees he just said well we have this year :D

The crop has been like I've never seen.  We had to put props under some of the branches.

I put it down to the warm sunny weather at blossom time, he insists its his mucking  :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09 »

I put it down to the warm sunny weather at blossom time

I think so too - normally I see the blossom start to come out, then the wind and rain comes so only a few flowers get pollinated.  This year my apple and pear trees have been phenomenal, even the peach tree!

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 23:29 »
Yup! ALL my fruit (soft and tree) has been fantastic in quantity and early too.....

xx
Victoria Plums

Started by MrsPea on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:34
by Yorkie
xx
Worm in Victoria Plums, should I eat them?!!!!

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2022, 22:15
by Ema
xx
General Purpose spray for Fruit trees?

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:15
by New shoot
xx
Supercolumns fruit trees - will it work for plums

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 19:37
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 35 queries.