freezing mussels

• 13 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

freezing mussels
« on: March 21, 2012, 18:15 »
Hi all,
my fish has arrived along with a free 1kg live mussels. Can I cook them and then freeze them for reheating? How long can I store them raw in the fridge for before using - I know to throw away any that stay open when raw and that don't open when cooked,
thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: freezing mussels
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 18:21 »
I don't see why you can't freeze them cooked, but you'd have to defrost and reheat very carefully at which point as an aside I reckon they'd go rubbery very easily, so perhaps the risk is not worth it. I'd say keep them fresh in the fridge, no more than a couple of days.

You don't want seafood poisoning it isn't nice, I know.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 18:50 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 19:13 »
Thanks Argyllie, DD has now informed me she likes mussels, so looks like we're in for a mussel-fest tomorrow - yum!!

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 19:18 »
Yum indeed. :) They're good in a chilli and lemongrass type style, if you weren't going to use a classic moules type recipe. But you probably know that already. ::) :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 19:23 »
I've just finished a jar of chilli olives and garlic, so have about 2 tbs of oil left in the jar - I know where that's going  :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 23:58 »
Knew I'd forget them, still in fridge, they arrived yesterday and were unpacked at tea time. D'you think they'll be OK until tomorrow night - ie 2 days in fridge?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46 »
If they are dead, Janey they will gape open and not close when tapped.  As long as they are closed when they go into the pan and open when the come out, they should be fine.

They would have be refridgerated for several days if you bought them in the supermarket and the storage instructions you get with them say keep them wrapped in the bottom of the fridge until you want them  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:00 »
Yes, it is perfectly OK to cook them and freeze them. Try to cook them until only just cooked or they may go rubbery on reheating.

I would always cook immediately you get them as they deteriorate quickly and start dieing off so you get less mussel for your money.

As everyone has said..... if they are open and do not close when tapped onthe work surface, throw away, on cooking throw away any that do not open and you will be fine.

When you get the mussels do not wrap in cling film or plastic or they will suffocate and die :(

Enjoy your fish :)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:20 »
Stick them in a bowl of cold water on the side in the kitchen and add some plain flour and some salt to the water.

This will give them some food and keep them alive then they will survive a lot longer than being kept in the fridge.  It will also fatten them up a bit.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 22:04 »
Stick them in a bowl of cold water on the side in the kitchen and add some plain flour and some salt to the water.

This will give them some food and keep them alive then they will survive a lot longer than being kept in the fridge.  It will also fatten them up a bit.

I've not heard that before! Anyway, have given in and eaten them - all  :wub:
They were beautiful, melt in the mouth with some butter, wine and finished with chilli & garlic oil - yum. Only 2 dead ones, very tempted to order some more, but steep delivery costs don't make it worth while until I have something more to order. Might see if a neighbour wants to share though!

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 22:11 »
My Nan used to do this all the time, and her Dad used to run a Fishmongers in Lowestoft so I'm assuming she knew what she was doing.

Every week, when in season, she would buy mussels down the market, bring them home and put them in salty floury water on the worktop in her biggest mixing bowl.

There they would sit until Saturday when they were cooked for tea.

I still do it today, seems to keep them alive,  whether or not it fattens them up I'm not sure, but thats what I was told as a lad.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:03 »
Its also a good way to clean them out, of sand etc,  if you've been lucky enough to pick them in the wild. :) Commercially produced ones, often rope grown, will be precleaned for you.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43 »
My Nan used to do this all the time, and her Dad used to run a Fishmongers in Lowestoft so I'm assuming she knew what she was doing.

Every week, when in season, she would buy mussels down the market, bring them home and put them in salty floury water on the worktop in her biggest mixing bowl.

There they would sit until Saturday when they were cooked for tea.

I still do it today, seems to keep them alive,  whether or not it fattens them up I'm not sure, but thats what I was told as a lad.

My Grandma used to do this but she used oatmeal. Same principle. Good cook my Granma, don't know what happened to my mum. She is the original Wendy craig character from 'Butterflies'. :ohmy:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 13:28 »

My Grandma used to do this but she used oatmeal. Same principle. Good cook my Granma, don't know what happened to my mum. She is the original Wendy craig character from 'Butterflies'. :ohmy:

You could be describing my daughter  :(  my youngest son is a brilliant, really interested cook  :D

xx
Freezing

Started by mashauk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 23:10
by Cazzy
xx
Freezing Veg

Started by Mr Trembly on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 22:18
by suziet88
xx
Freezing veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:01
by Trillium
xx
re freezing

Started by flitwickone on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.