Chicken eating the eggs???

• 10 Replies

chicken-sitter

Chicken eating the eggs???
« on: July 29, 2011, 19:42 »
I'm looking after two chickens at the moment for a friend. One of them is broody and so we're only getting one egg from the other one.
I went to let them out today and get the egg but it had been broken and was completely empty, looked like it had been eaten. There's only the two and they're in a secure coop. Should I be worried that one or both of them have eaten their egg, or is this normal?
Thanks.

kegs

Re: Chicken eating the eggs???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 19:44 »
What was the shell like of the broken egg?  I've got one chicken that is laying very fragile eggs at the moment and if I don't get to it before the other chickens they give it a peck, it easily breaks and they demolish it!

chicken-sitter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 19:48 »
The shell seemed normal, not really any softer than usual. There did seem to be some shell missing too.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 19:55 »
That seems odd to me so I'm going to have to let someone else advise you, but is there a chance that some other animal could have got to the egg?  Maybe if you post some info on your set up such as coop, run, garden etc and whether the chickens free range it may spread some light.

Good luck and I'm sure someone will be able to suggest something soon.

chicken-sitter

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 20:12 »
I don't really know how the describe the set-up. They're in the back garden to a house, it's quite a large back garden but completely secure, the coop is a pyramid shape covered in chicken wire and one end is seperated into a nesting box. There is no way anything else can get into the coop and no evidence of anything getting in.

But one of the chickens is brooding and I usually have to lift her off the other hens egg to get it, today though she came out on her own and when I went to get the egg I found it broken and empty.

We did have a bit of a drama yesterday as after I let them out I got locked out of the garden when the gate jammed and had to get someone to climb over the fence and open the gate and there was a lot of banging. The chickens were quite upset and vocal for a while afterwards, which is really out of character. I wonder if the stress could have caused this. Hmmm?

Having never had chickens myself and because they belong to someone else I'm possibly over paranoid about making sure they're ok. I'm really enjoying looking after them though.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 21:20 »
If the broody is not sitting on eggs you need to discourage her from staying in the coop. 

The egg could have got damaged if both the hens are trying to sit in the nest box at the same time.  Once an egg is damaged hens will quickly eat the contents.  If you could try and keep the broody out of the nest box during the day for a few days or a week she should go back to normal and start laying again.

The broody will have been hungry if she has been sitting in the nest box constantly.  She needs to be out eating and drinking.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

chicken-sitter

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 21:30 »
OK thanks, as soon as I lift her off the egg she usually goes straight for a drink and then for a mooch around the garden. But she does tend to go back in the nest box after about an hour. She is eating plenty (and pooing loads) so there's no problems there. I did wonder if it was a nutrition thing, but if like you say, maybe the egg got damaged and they just ate it anyway, the egg was on the other side to where it normally is.
I'l just see how they are tomorrow.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 21:36 »
You will probably enjoy it that much that you will want your own hens.   :D  It is a nice way to have a taster of what you would be letting yourself in for.

chicken-sitter

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 21:43 »
I would love to, but I have three scottish terriers at home and I don't think they'd take kindly to chickens moving in. It's definately a consideration for the future, maybe if a move is on the cards in a few years and I can get some more land. I'd love to home chickens, esp ex battery hens.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 21:58 »
Ex bats can be really challenging from what I have read on here so they might not be the best choice for a first timer. 

Godd luck with your chicken sitting.   :D

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 22:25 »
Hello Chicken sitter.

When a hen lays an egg she tends to give it a small peck to see if it's sound. If it cracks or breaks chickens tend to eat it, probably because it's a waste of good (free) nutriton and also because you don't want to attract preditors by it's smell.

It's quite possible that the gate problems and noise stressed them a little as chickens really are creatures of habit, however don't over worry yourself as all will settle down in a day or two.

As suggested it's best if broodies are not left to 'vegetate' without good reason but as you are the chicken sitter I wouldn't worry too much. Once the owner returns home they will address any issues there. Just make sure she gets some food and water twice a day, morning and afternoon and she'll be fine.

I'm glad you are enjoying caring fro your friends birds they are fun aren't they?

Yep, terriers and chickens....bad news... I have two Welsh and it's instant death to the hen that steps into the garden I'm afraid.

Orchardlady. :)

xx
CHICKEN EATING EGGS

Started by mike newby on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 11:24
by mike newby
xx
Chicken eating eggs

Started by digby1958 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 21:07
by Bev
thumbdown
My chicken is eating her eggs!

Started by Bev on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 20:50
by dizzylizzie
xx
thin or no shell on eggs and chicken not eating

Started by tallgingerbloke on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 08:37
by Sassy

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 38 queries.