eggsited!!

• 2 Replies

treecol

eggsited!!
« on: April 06, 2009, 16:19 »
Our new cockerel Rooster Cogburn is having a delightful time with his girls. He's come out of a very small cage and now he thinks he's in rooster heaven. (he's a white leghorn). One of my warrens has gone broody (that surprised us). s. She sits on all the eggs being laid at the moment, so when I collect the eggs, I replace them with artificial ones to encourage her. She's so cluckey and pleased with herself. How long does he need to be with them before the eggs are firtile, and do I then move her to a broody hutch with the eggs?? Thank you. i do hope we get some little ones!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: eggsited!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 16:24 »
Our new cockerel Rooster Cogburn is having a delightful time with his girls. He's come out of a very small cage and now he thinks he's in rooster heaven. (he's a white leghorn). One of my warrens has gone broody (that surprised us). s. She sits on all the eggs being laid at the moment, so when I collect the eggs, I replace them with artificial ones to encourage her. She's so cluckey and pleased with herself. How long does he need to be with them before the eggs are firtile, and do I then move her to a broody hutch with the eggs?? Thank you. i do hope we get some little ones!

Why do you take the eggs away if you want little ones?  Hasn't the rooster already "had his way" with her? 
Just curious  :wub:

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

treecol

Re: eggsited!!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 17:19 »
I was told by the person who I  got my chooks from not to let her sit on the eggs for a week after the cockerel went in with them, to just remove them to eat as before. He maintains you won't get firtile eggs for a week. But I have read elsewhere that you need the cockerel in for three weeks before they are firtile, and you shouldn't leave the eggs in with her . Hence my question. I am confused.com!!

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 36 queries.