more questions

• 5 Replies

walker

more questions
« on: January 31, 2010, 22:02 »
hi all
ive got a few questions, i bought some mixed grit for the chucks but it has vanished
into fresh air i managed to buy some crushed oyster shells will this be ok or do they
need mixed grit.
also we put leg rings on the chucks earlier today and one of the sussex seems to have thicker legs than the others we used 16mm rings the clip type, are the rings meant to be free moving or a snug fit.
last question honestly can the chucks have any veg as long as its cooked :wacko:

One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

jackie

Re: more questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03 »
i can only answer one question cos i'm quite new to chook keeping. The veg doesnt have to be cooked. I hang a cabbage in the run, they love to peck at it. I cook all my peelings but the lady who i bought my chooks from didnt cook hers. I think its just a matter of preference by the chooks. I give mine potato, broc, carrot, cabbage. they dont like parsnip. Ive found, give it to them once, theyll either eat it or leave it. I also give them pasta which they absolutely love (dont give them too much tho, cos i've been told it makes them fat Hope this helps

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:12 »
The oyster shell they need for calcium and making good egg shell. The grit they need for grinding up their food in their crop. Ideally they do need both and will take as much or as little as they need. Some people say there is enough in their pellets and/or if they free range. Why take the risk. Mine free range and are on pellets and still take the shell and grit albeit not very much.

It's good for them to have green stuff available. Mine only get cooked if its leftovers - no salt. Chooks can be fussy, mine do not eat lettuce or carrots. I don't know if there is certain veg which should only be fed cooked!

Sorry don't know re leg rings.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:09 »
You should cook potato, but apart from that - however they like it best!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 16:15 »
I give mine grit and oyster shell. The veg i give is not cooked apart from the potato skins. I was told not to give them lettuce as it can give them diarhoer.

walker

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 20:16 »
thanks everyone
gave the chucks green beans,califlour,peas and carrots today they went totally mad
running around wings flapping took less than five minutes to finish off the lot.
will get some grit tomorrow to be on the safe side.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Two odd questions........................

Started by cammi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 19:58
by Pertelotte
xx
More Questions....sorry

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2009, 19:50
by LadyPluck
xx
Hi and a few questions.

Started by Andee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 16:28
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.