Swampy beds of doom...

• 3 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Swampy beds of doom...
« on: July 09, 2012, 16:31 »
I took on my first ever plot in late March and since then you've probably noticed it's rained a bit. :)

The plot's on a slope, running from the top left of the plot diagonally down to the bottom right. The elevation is about 3-4ft. The inherited raised beds seem to be sunk into the plot and there are small trenches dug on the right-hand ends, as well as trenches around the mounds of grass that used to be beds/piles of random stuff.

The trenches are all full, and the two 'raised' beds at the bottom of the plot are absolutely sodden. The worst is one bed higher than the one on the bottom border. I tried digging it and rapidly had a pool of standing water. There is a hard pan of orange clay just about 1 spade depth down. The water is going nowhere, despite trenches.

All my neighbours have woodchip paths, mine is the only one with grass still. My next neighbour along has a lower plot than I, but not the same waterlogging issues. I obviously don't want her to suffer from my water surplus, but have been thinking of asking to dig a drainage trench along the length of her plot to drain from mine.

What's the best option to get it drier more quickly (breaking up the hard pan is beyond my back)? Dig a hole for a pond in the bottom right corner? Plant a small fruit tree (or will this drown?)? give up and plant watercress?

Am attaching a pic of how it was in March. The brambles and the blackthorn at the top are now gone. 

Any ideas? I'm very new to all this and the constant mud is 'challenging'!
Thanks
Surbie
483448_10150771338680856_2121701935_n.jpg

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Swampy beds of doom...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 20:27 »
It is a tough one.  I know some people on here have dug trenches and filled with gravel to relieve their plots of water.  I don't have experience of this one, but personally, I would:

- think of raising the raised bed levels and introduce more.  Having raised beds at least enables you to walk on areas around your beds and stops you compacting the soil you are growing in.
- add as much HM compost at every opportunity to the clay soil in the beds.
- consider growing artichokes and/or rhubarb in the waterlogged beds (plant in raised mounds so they don't rot off).
- consider double digging the beds prone to waterlogging and add plenty of peat free or HM compost and a handful of grit to the lower level to help add drainage into the clay (wait until it dries out more to save your back!)
- site a pond in the area that gets particularly waterlogged.  It will encourage wildlife and mean you can grow a mix of plants that thrive in really waterlogged conditions, this includes irises, gunnera, rheum and primulas.

It has been a particularly bad year for drowning plots.  If the water table is fairly high in your area, then it could be the area is prone to flooding which could be why nobody had built houses on it ;)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 20:31 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 22:36 »
Thank you!

Will have a think about those - and definitely consider raising the beds & putting in a pond. I've only had the plot for 4 months, so I don't know if this happens all the time or just this mightily wet year.

Went up to the plot today and quagmire is the least wet word I can think of to describe it. Am amazed the cucumbers are still alive!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 20:19 »
Digging a large trough at the bottom of the trough would help, but would need  3 spade depth which is backbreaking and very smelly. Trying to convince the allotmenter opposite would be difficult as a network of troughs would be the answer, all going downhill, which may cause problems for him.
I had 2 troughs starting halfway up my plot but as there was no one opp I could let the excess water into undergrowth. I dug in loads of manure and had raised beds in other places.
After putting in drainage you could try a greenhouse there.

xx
raised beds

Started by greenfingered on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 13:16
by piskieinboots
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Whizzy223 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 11:04
by Undala
xx
Raised beds

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 11:31
by Rangerkris
xx
Edging for beds

Started by Honey65 on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:26
by cadalot

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.