HELP Rhode Island Red

• 2 Replies
HELP Rhode Island Red
« on: February 06, 2012, 21:40 »
hello!  i have 13 chickens and i noticed thea she has been very down and out but shes drinking alot, hardly eatng and i noticed that her poo is green and very liquidy what could i do for to help her? THANK YOU  :)

Helenaj

Re: HELP Rhode Island Red
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:00 »
When was she last wormed and what with? Very green poos can be a sign of worms- try checking a bit to see if you can see any worms in it.

Do you know if she is running a temperature? Put your hand under the wing of a healthy hen and then put the same hand under the unwell hen and see if it feels hotter or colder.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: HELP Rhode Island Red
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:43 »
How old is your hen as it could be an age related problem?  How long have you had her?  Is she still laying and could she be egg bound?  Check her crop to see it is not impacted or that she does not have sour crop.  Check for lice on your hen and red mite in the coop (a piece of white paper slid into the crevices at the end of the perch will get blood on it if there are red mites who have been feeding).

Loads of useful information on here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4748.0

I understand from other members that it is usually a really bad infestation of worms before you see them in their poo.  Best to worm with Flubenvet which you add to layers pellets or you can get predosed layers pellets from Marriages.  I am using some at the moment to treat 2 new hens who are in quarantine.  I am treating my existing 6 hens at the same time to keep the treatment dates the same in the future. 

Good luck and welcome to the site.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
What are the differences between rhode island red and rhode island red bantam?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 00:39
by hillfooter
xx
Rhode Island Reds

Started by Viv on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 17:52
by slowef
xx
Rhode island not laying

Started by oneup555 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 09:30
by Jeanette
xx
Where to buy Rhode Island Reds?

Started by dshand on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 18:32
by dshand

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.