how much room for quail

• 8 Replies

digalotty

how much room for quail
« on: September 23, 2009, 20:19 »
i have an area 6ft x 4ft is this enougth room to keep quail or even bantams if so how many and what are the best to keep
   thanks peeps :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 22:01 by Ice »
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: how mutch room for quail
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 21:37 »
hi!  ive kept quail happily in this space before (dont remeber what type they were but they were one of the smallest varieties - about the size of sparrows) i would have thought that space would be big enough for 2 or 3 bantams quite happily.  Unfortunately quail and bantams dont mix though, hens hate them. Anyway, chickens make such amazingly interesting and amusing pets - i dont think quails do, mine were  really nervous and were terrified of me (and everything infact!) i couldnt handle them for fear of frightening themto death! hens are the best!! if you get some you will be hooked! best of luck :) lucylou

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 21:48 »
thanks lucylou that will help me greatly as its not a large space i did wonder if it would be big enouth for bantams   i did hear thet quail do spook easily   i just thought they might fit the space better
thanks pete :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 22:02 »
I have about 7 quail that i have hatched this year and they are in my biggest brooder (1mtr x 0.5mtr) they are regularly handled and a couple are now mature and happy to be stroked and cuddled!  :D very pretty and amusing birds but feel you need to rear them yourself with lots of handling for them to be tame!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

digalotty

Re: how much room for quail
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 22:07 »
hi deb would you recomend them as a pet and what type are they     have you ever kept bantams as a comparison
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 22:09 by digalotty »

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 22:53 »
I have quail, but prefer my chooks and bantams :)

Quail have a horrible habit of leaping up in the air when startled and smashing their heads on the top of the run...... They are also, as said, terrified of everything and IMO not that big in the personality department!!!

The eggs, although plentiful, are fiddly and mine tend to be sold or given away.... I just cant be bothered with the peeling :(

My problem at the moment is that they have started to pick on each other..... and with rather horrible results..... once they start, they just dont stop :(  Missing eyes and bald heads within hours (I was at work yesterday morning and by lunchtime one of my boys was badly injured :( )  He is improving though... :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 23:14 »
hi deb would you recomend them as a pet and what type are they     have you ever kept bantams as a comparison
Mine are cortinox quail and live indoors! as they were hand reared i think they have bags of personality  :D Tiny, who is the biggest female mothers all the younger ones! i dont keep the boys with them and when i do introduce a boy it will be just 1to go with any girlies
They are for pets more than eggs, but i do have bantams too which are coming up POL but i have had more problems with them than the quail (feather pecking with 1 poor baby being pecked to death whilst i was at work) so it depends what you want? if we get eggs from our quail it will be a bonus

Debbie

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 21:24 »
im not any closer to deciding but atleast its a nice thing to ponder on :D

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 20:10 »
now i am not sure if to get quails or not  :lol: :lol: i have wanted them for a while not sure why though , if i get round to building the new run it would only be 7 foot by 2 1/2 metres i think so i would perfer quails although i would die for some silkies but this run would be to small for them.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
how much room in the run?

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 08:26
by Fisherman
xx
How much room?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 21:18
by New shoot
xx
Do I have enough room?

Started by Bear on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
Brooding in a warm room

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 18:45
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.